Search

Getting to Paddington on a Weekday at 9am

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Paddington on a Weekday at 9am

Hi All,

I’ll need to get to Paddington station around 9am or so on a Tuesday. I’ve experienced rush hour in the tube with luggage in the past and it was terrible. Had to wait for a few trains before I could finally get on. That was around 7:30am. I’m considering a hotel in Marylebone the night before I head to Heathrow, but wondering what the tube commute will be like if I left at 9:00 (or a little before). Will it still be super crowded at that time? Is the bus a better option? I’ve read some articles that say rush hour is usually over by 9:00, but others say 9:30 to 10:00.

Another thought…I’ll be staying in Moreton-in-Marsh until Morning and was planning on heading to London that day. Since my airbnb is much cheaper than many hotels in London, I’ve also considered just staying one more night in Moreton and taking the train to Paddington that Tuesday morning (I don’t mind waking up earlier to do that). But would the trains into London be really crowded at that time too?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jonna
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 03:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

The train from M-i-M takes about 90 minutes and there are no changes and it runs more than once an hour so that is totally doable and I wouldn't worry about luggage. Just how much luggage will you have? But I personally wouldn't want to be up in M-i-M the same morning I was catching a long distance train from Paddington - if that's the plan.

How close to Marylebone station are you thinking of staying? It is only 2 stops so even if crowded you shouldn't have a problem if you have to stand.

Worst case -- if you have a boat load of luggage, it would be a short cab ride

Last edited by janisj; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will only have one piece of medium-sized luggage and a backpack. The hotel I'm looking at is only about a 5 minute walk to Marylebone station, so not bad at all.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 04:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Then I'd just take the tube . . . or . . . stay right at Paddington. There are scads of hotels in all price ranges within a 2-5 minute walk of the station.