Reload this Page >

Getting to Nice & Hotel Palais Maeterlinck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Ellen

How does one get to Nice from Salzburg? Is there a train? How long does it take? All the flights seem to take forever because they go via Amsterdam! <BR>Does anyone know anything about Palais Maeterlinck? The pictures look beautiful.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Thyra

Ellen, check out www.raileurope.com they listings of all the train schedules and routes. I am sure that you can get to Nice from Salzburg via train but I am not sure if you will have to transfer trains enroute.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 04:27 PM
elvira

You will be on a train forever, changing at Strasbourg. The only train I know leaves Nice in the morning, and arrives in Salzburg the NEXT morning. Ugh. If you do the train, I'd recommend staying overnight in Strasbourg (not a bad little bourg), then catching the train the next morning to Salzburg. Pretty scenery, and you won't be beat up when you arrive in Austria.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 05:03 PM
Christina

Both cities have train stations, so you can take a train between them but I would guess it will take 12+ hours as that is not an easy route. I think you would have to go through Milan or Genoa up through an Austrian city near Innsbruck (eg, Rosenheim) and then over to Salzburg. Raileurope is unfortunately not a comprehensive rail routing site, they only list the most popular routes for their tourist clientele; it is espec. bad for complicated routings like this and for small towns. If time is your reason, flying will be better, but there are definitely flights from Salzburg to cities other than Amsterdam. For example, you can probably take Swissair through Zurich or Lufthansa through Munich, with each leg maybe taking only about an hour? Try another airline.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:40 PM
Sue

Christina is right. I looked it up on http://bahn.hafas.de (the German rail site) and the best one is 13+ hours, leaving at 10am, changing at Milan and Rosenheim, arriving at 23:23. We are doing the same in reverse, but are going Salzburg to Venice for a few days and then on to Nice.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 12:21 AM
Tony

You will definitely need an overnight break of journey if you want a comfortable trip. <BR>There is a direct train from Nice at about 1000 to Lugano in Switzerland, with the the first part of the journey quite scenic along the coast to Genoa. <BR>Lugano is a good town for an overnight as there are adequate hotels close to the station, and the town itself is quite easily walkable, and on the lakeside, for a possible evening cruise. <BR>From Lugano there are plenty of direct trains to Zurich, with scenery to die for. From Zurich there is a direct train to Salzburg at around 1330 - again an extremely scenic ride, and with a restaurant car on the train. <BR>Please email me if you would like a detailed itinerary of this route.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Ellen

Wow. Forget the train. I will definitely look for a better flight. What about the hotel though? Anything?