Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Naples using Travelocity or Expedia???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appears to be really hard to get to Naples for the Amalfi coast from Philadelphia, PA...These travel sights seem to use multiple carriers to complete flights.

I have never used and service other then airline directly...Kind of nervous

May I please get input or concerns regarding use of travel services??

Thanks
Johnb
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Most US airlines only have non-stop flights from the US to either Rome or Milan. You could fly into Rome and train to Naples or Salerno (depends on your final destination on the coast) and travel the rest of the way by bus or ferry. Otherwise, you will need to do connecting flights to Naples and then train/bus/ferry.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM

It's very easy to get a flight to London from the Philly airport, and then take British Airways to Naples from London.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
J62

It's very easy to get a flight to Frankfurt from the Philly airport, and then take Lufthansa to Naples from Frankfurt.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I don't understand what's so confusing - I just checked on Travelocity and you can get a flight on Air France from Philly to Paris, then Paris to Naples, also on Air France. Couldn't be easier.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Travelocity shows a flight frm Philly to Paris, and Paris to Naples on Air France. You don't even have to switch airlines. Easy peazy.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM

In addition to the Air France option mentioned above, be aware that several U.S. airlines fly into Naples via connections on their alliance partners. For example, I booked my recent trip to Naples on United connecting through Munich, but the Munich to Naples leg was on Lufthansa. Delta partners with Air France, and I believe USAirways and/or American partner with Alitalia. It might put your mind at ease to research some of the options and pairings on the airline websites before booking on Travelocity or Expedia. The issue you may wish to research is what happens if, e.g., you booked the flights I took not through United but through Travelocity and you miss your connection. You'll want to be sure that the second airline will rebook you on a later flight. My guess is that would likely be the case for any of the alliance pairs mentioned above, but I don't know, better to get a (written) answer from the horses's mouth. Good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM

We're closer to Philly, but most often fly out of Newark. There are usually more options, and flights are usually cheaper.

We went to Naples few months ago -- flew EWR to FCO (Rome), then took a high speed (1:10) train to Naples. Easy as pie.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:01 AM
ira

Hi john,

I almost always use www.kayak.com.

You can compare their rates to T and E at the same time.

You can also book open jaw - eg, into Naples and out of Rome - for the same or less.

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Lufthansa\United fly into Naples but you will then have to take the shuttle to the termini and train or bus down the coast.
You can just fly round trip into Rome and take the bus directly there or fly into Rome and take the train Sorrento and bus the rest of the way.
I would think it was be simpler just to take the bus that is direct nor shifting of baggage.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Or you can fly into Naples and have a private car service take you to directly to your Amalfi coast destination -- not the absolute cheapest option, but not necessarily a bad deal either. And it is probably the best option if dealing with luggage and minimizing transfers is truly a concern.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

All good thoughts! I understand many flight options but didn't want to spend so much time in airports..I can get to Rome easy enough but long delay before flight to Naples..and ultimately on to Positanio or Ischia

You did give me an idea which is going right from Naples to Ischia and then to Capri and then to Positano..anyone know when ferrys leave from Naples to Ischia??

Thanks so much!!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

I luv you guys..make me think!!

Alitalia; newark to rome to naples ( in Naples by 11am..ferry to Ischia for 2 nights, Capri 2 nights and Positano 2 nights?

Better???
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM

I would not try to cram in 3 locations in 6 nights. Especially when you will be feeling the effects of jet lag.
You will be spending a large fraction of the trip getting from one place to the next. Please see my more detailed response on your other thread.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
JBX

3 locations ??
Well, not a great idea .... need to factor the time it'll take to get from point A to B, packing/unpacking, checking in/out hotel. Assume by your choice of destination, you are seeking R & R ...... dashing from one city to next isn't best approach to relaxing getaway. At most, pick two; with one being Positano, and then select either Ischia or Capri.

Have never flown on Alitalia. Guess they're still in business?? Only say that as seems that airline is frequently on edge. Others can provide more current/accurate update re: Alitalia
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

agree...only 2 destinations...great now I have to rethink air..didn't know airline was in trouble..

Thanks again!!!