Getting to Mostar

Jan 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Getting to Mostar

We are interested in visiting Mostar as a part of our stay in Croatia. Any tips on how to get there, best time to go, is it a day trip or should we stay overnight and things to see and do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM

Tom, advertising is not allowed here.

Snowflake, we visited Mostar a couple years ago, we had our own car, driving is not at all a problem. I know there are buses as well but I can't help you there.

We stayed 2 nights (July), arriving late the first evening. We spent the whole next day seeing the sites in Mostar. The next day we left for Dubrovnik, stopping at Blagaj to see Tekija - the Dervish monastery, Pocitelj, a lovely village built into the mountain side and Kravice Waterfalls.

My photos of the trip are here if you are interested in ideas:

http://kellyee21.free.fr/europe/bosnia/bosnia.html
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM

I drove from Split to Mostar - a very easy drive, and then down to Dubrovnik, again an easy drive - more details in my trip report here...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35086450
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM

You don't say from where in Croatia you will be going to Mostar or where after Mostar.

However, if you are not renting a car, then there is frequent, low-cost bus service from many cities. Also, you can take a train from Sarajevo.

You really owe it to yourselves to spend at least one night there. It is a most interesting city.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

We plan on visiting Split and Dubrovnik so I was just curious from which of those would the trip to Mostar be most convenient? We would prefer to use public transportation if possible.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM

You probably can't get there and back in one day on the bus, so you'd have to book an excursion tour thingee. You could see what the bus times are for Split-Mostar and then Mostar-Dubrovnik. You'd probably have to stay one night, which would be nice in my opinion, many people just do the day trip.
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I lived in Dubrovnik for one summer, a few years ago before the fighting, and on my first visit to Mostar I took an early morning bus (trip about three hours), and then in the mid-evening I took a bus back.

When I literally fell in love with Mostar, I then started to stay overnight.

In short, the trip can be made in one day.

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/engl...tion_coach.php