Getting to Croatia

Jan 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Rebecca

Getting to Croatia

I'm trying to figure out how to get to to Croatia from the U.S. I'm thinking of taking the ferry from Ancona in Italy to Zadar, but to do that, how do we get to Ancona? Should we fly to Rome or another city and then take a train? Does anyone have other suggestions for getting to Croatia by another route? We'd like the route that takes the least time, and is the cheapest. Thank you.

Jan 20th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Deborah

Rebecca, as usual the cheapest and least amount of time don't go together. I am having the same dilemma but since I am going to Prague and Salzburg first my plan is to fly from Salzburg to Split. I will end up in Dubrovnik and will then fly to Zagreb or Vienna to get back to the US-with a stop or two in between. Not very convenient and not inexpensive but made more sense than train or bus.
You should be able to find a flight that gets you to Frankfurt(lufthansa) or vienna and from there take the train or a short flight to Zagreb if that is where you are wanting to go. From there you can rent a car to see the sights on your way down the coast. I am traveling alone and didn't want to rent a car. Good luck.

Jan 21st, 2001, 12:48 AM
Paige

You can take a direct flight to Zagreb from Munich on Croatian Air. From Zagreb you can get a flight to Split or Dubrovnik, if that's where you want to end up.

Jan 21st, 2001, 08:22 AM
Nina

Rebecca
I suggest get your airplane ticket through a Croatian travel agency. They will always have the BEST deals!

I've had contact with the one in Ohio, LA and NY and found the one in New York to have the most flexibility and best prices. They are called PanAdriatic and their website is www.panadriatic.com you can call them at 800-352-0555. They can do tickets from any destination in the US even if you are not from the NY area with great prices! They can route your trip with the cheapest way. Whether that means a stopover in London and off to Zagreb from there and then off to another destination within Croatia. FYI: London, Paris, Amsterdam & Frankfurt are the most common places to stopover to change to Croatian Airlines. Let us know how it works out!
Nina

Jan 22nd, 2001, 04:58 PM
Rebecca

Thank you, all. They're great ideas. Nina, I did go to PanAdriatic's website, and it looks great. Thanks! I'll let you know what we decide.