Getting through immigration at Heathrow with student group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a group of students and adults totaling 20 to London. My question is does each person have to go to their own immigration officer to get cleared or can the whole group go to one and get cleared together. Students are a bit nervous about this process.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention coming from U.S.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM

Each person has to be checked out but you should be able to queue up for the same officer if you want, and if they are little kids then they'll probably appreciate you keeping everyone together and behaving themselves. Obviously children go with their parents/teacher/whatever - they won't be separated from them. But immigration still want to see their passports and look at them.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Each person goes to the office separately - assuming you are not talking about very small children with a parent. Each has passport checked and may be asked questions. You need to prepare them for this - and make sure they have sensble answers.

How old are these kids? If they're unsure about this how will thye handle being in europe- languge, transit menus, etc?
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM

"you should be able to queue up for the same officer if you want"

Not last time I went through Heathrow (or any of the last 999,999 times either)

Unitary queueing (same queue for all checkouts) means you can't. And for 20 of you, it'd be nuts anyway.

No problem with young children in assigning chaperones to subgroups, if you're happier having a grownup with separate lots of 3-5 children. But each child has go through, get identified (and possibly, in these days of cross-border kidnapping, answer a simple question) separately.

The British Empire was built on small children travelling round the world (and so going through UK immigration) by themselves to go to and from school. The UKBA is used to this, and you'll find the children really quite enjoy it.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Each person has to be checked out but you should be able to queue up for the same officer if you want, </i>"

Not really. There is queue and several immigrations officers who will call them up in order. So you can't 'wait' for an opening w/ the same officer.

"<i>Each person goes to the office separately -</i>"

This description may cause undue concern. They aren't called into an 'office'. It is a line of desks, out in the open, and they are sent to a desk as it opens up.

Family groups (like if there is a adult chaperon and his/her child) will go up together.

But otherwise each person will have their own time w/ an officer. Just make sure each student knows 1) how long the trip is and 2) WHERE they are staying the first night. Either the name of hotel/hostel or the address. That is usually asked "<i>Where are you staying?</i>" . . "Somewhere in London" is not a good enough answer.

But it really isn't a scary process . . .
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Was posting the same time as flanner . . .
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Can't really add much to what flanner and janisj have already said. The queue can seem long but moves fairly well. Each person will be called seperately. They will present their passport and landing card which hopefully they've filled out prior to landing. The officer will ask the quesions that janisj mentioned " <I>How long are you staying and where will you be staying ?</I> They usually ask the purpose of your visit such as vacation/holiday etc. If you need to collect luggage do so at baggage reclaim and then continue through customs.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM

I would only add to tell the students to gather at the wall behind the desks when each completes the process, then go down the escalators together to get baggage.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM

My wife and I always go up together, since we are a family. Sometimes the officer will say, "Are you together?" He then scans each passport separately, asks any other questions he might have and then says, "Welcome to ----------".

But, then, we make such a sweet couple ---

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM

I think if I were you I'd go through first to corral them all as they come through. Have a second adult go last in case anyone gets detained-- highly unlikely.

Make sure everyone completes their immigration cards on the p,ane and have pens handy.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM

You might make sure they all know what their surname is - this seems to be a mystery to a lot of people. And for nation they put USA - not America (as in whch)>
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Not sure what type of group you are taking but when I traveled with a Chamber Choir we chose to all have sweatshirts that matched - the students were dark blue with white wording and the adults white with dark blue. These were fashionable ones that they designed and they were happy to wear them whenever we traveled as a group. It meant that we were easily recognized as a group and at immigration they were made to feel comfortable.
Staying together and waiting in a group once they are 'through' is very important.
Hope it goes well.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:18 AM

My wife and I always go up together, since we are a family.

That's not been allowed the last few times I've been through UK immigration
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My husband and I have travelled through UK immigration many, many times, always together. It has never been a problem.

To nyapa - definitely let the students know beforehand what questions they are likely to receive from the immigration officers. Usual questions are 'how long are you here for' and 'what is the purpose of your visit?' Let them know it's a very serious business, no larking about.

And having someone go through first to make sure everyone stays together 'on the other side' is an excellent idea.

Kay
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Sorry I was thinking more of them being several families - usually a whole family group can go up together. Didn't mean t mislead.

There's nothing for them to be nervous about. It's not like entering the USA where we are all fingerprinted like criminals! Just make sure they know this is NOT the time to make stupid jokes.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Original poster failed to say anything about the age of "students". Advice would differ depending upon whether they are age 12 or 20. I'm guessing they are at least high school students... and if they are college students, nervousness must mean they either have not traveled at all outside of immediate hometown, or else their parents have not encouraged their independence very much. This can be a learning experience.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM

The hub and i always go up together and have never had a problem.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Husband and wife are not a problem. Twenty people are.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM

I just did this, but with 6 students and 2 other adults. There was a mom and son as part of this group. The kids are older teenagers. At LHR each approached the desk/agent one at a time, were asked either why traveling, or where going, or where staying the first night. I had prepped them for these questions. The mom and son went to desk together. It was very fast and painless.

Word of advice for traveling with groups, some of which you may have already considered--Give them written addresses and phone numbers for every accommodation/contact that you know for them to carry at all times. Tell them a hundred times to never never let any of their bags/backpacks/etc. leave their sight/touch. Suggest under clothing sacks for passport, cards, and money. Tell them to double/triple/quadruple check that their ATM cards will really work in the UK (if they are bringing such) and to know their pin and try their cards out, etc. Tell them to have UK (NOT European) plug adaptors for anything that needs recharging like phone or camera battery things.

AND always be clear about meeting points/times to meet/etc. And of course the buddy/triple buddy/quartet rule!

And prepare them for travel flexibility! (and carry rain-gear).

We had an absolute blast--you will too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -