getting gorgeous in Venice, Florence, Rome: where to find a beauty shop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip is not for several months yet (November) but still I am thinking about it and jotting down notes every day.

Sometimes while traveling I like to get a manicure or get my hair styled. Does anyone have recent recommendations for salons in Venice, Florence, Rome? I did a search on this topic but only found Kiki's thread--great though it was--from 2002.

We will be staying in the popular tourist areas of each city, most likely.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OO
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM

check out the links provided on this site

http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/spa/italy.html

Don't know if they offer hair services but it'll get you maincures for sure.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I can recommend a very modern salon located on the Grand Canal just to the right of the San Silvestro vaporetto stop. Unfortunately I don't recall the name, but I was very happy with getting my hair and nails done there.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I cant remember the name but I went to a very nice salon in Rome. If you walk past the Trevi Fountain you will find it right past internet cafe down on the left. It is maybe a block or 2 down past Trevi...
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM

When I'm in Italy, I go to my favorite Paris chain salon -SALON JEAN LOUIS DAVID. There are several branches in Italy, some 7 locations in Rome alone and 4 or 5 in Florence. My favorite in Rome is the one located on the Campo dei Fiori-my hairdresser there gives me little presents, and I ask him things, like what he thinks about Venetians- (given that he's Roman-he's quite opinionated!) In Florence, I like the one on via dei Servi, and there's also one not too far away on via Zannetti. If you can read Italian, you can go to this website and click the links to find locations:

www.jeanlouisdavid.com

Because there are several locations, obviously some will be better than others, but they are remarkably consistent, which is why I go to them all these many years-I do like their precision cuts. (excellent for men as well).

There isn't one located in the historical center of Venice, I found, but there is one in Mestre. In Venice, there are a couple of good hair salons in the San Polo/Santa Croce area on the way to the train station (I have the card of one of them somewhere). Also, if you know where La Fenice, the opera house is, there is a hair salon located just off the campo there, down one of the little calli running off the campo-you can ask somebody around there how to find it.

Probably the easiest one to find is the beauty salon located in the Hotel Bauer Hotel at San Marco/Valoresso stop. It's not particularly attractive, but the services were perfectly fine.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies, this site is great!

Sandi, those spa services look great, perhaps a little high-end for me, but we will see. I was really looking for something as simple as shampoo and blow-dry, mani/pedi. But thank you for the link, you never know.

Statia, myvenezia, I will keep my eyes open for those locations. Spygirl, those look like excellent suggestions. I am adding them all to my trip-notes file. I do not know where La Fenice is YET. I plan to know by November 7! I also like your suggestion for a conversation-starter with your hairdresser. lol!

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Something you might plan to do already, but I'll suggest it anyway--My wife has had her hair done in all the places you named and in just about every country in Europe (especially if you group all the new countries into the one old Yugoslavia). We always ask the hotel or B&B for recommendations on a nearby salon and haven't been disappointed yet in their selections. That includes spots in such locations as Ischia, Cortina, Rome, Prague, Venice, Vienna, Budapest, Paris, Nice, and many others I can't remember. You might at least try the hotel for ideas if you get desperate. Good luck.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Maybe because my hair is so thick and wavy and course, more like a European woman's hair than an American woman's hair I have always had better haircuts etc. in Italy then in the US olive_oil.

You have been given some good information and I would think (at least from all of my experiences) you will be happy with the services you need.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thick, wavy and coarse...that's me! My hair, I mean. Yes, excellent suggestions, I am happy already, LoveItaly.

This will sound crazy but I like to take a little time when I travel to do mundane things: get a haircut, do laundry in a laundromat, for example. Not too much time--I don't go all that way to do laundry--but I like to see how other people live.

That's a great suggestion, Wayne and it's good to know that your wife has been pleased with the results. Thank you for the post.