Getting from Venice airport to San Marco area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please share their experiences on getting from the Venice airport to San Marco area. Such things as cost, safety and quickness. Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
gray_lady

I have done the reverse; from San Marco area to the airport via vaporetto to Piazza le Roma and the familiar orange city bus from Piazza le Roma to the airport. I think the trip took less than an hour. The fare was about 5 euro. You can get details from the web site of ACTV, the official Venice transportation agency at http://www.actv.it

There are also one day and multiple day passes which may be cost effective if you will be there for a few days.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Fast, safe, and expensive--water taxi. As a bonus, it's also fun.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I have heard about a 3 day ticket for a water taxi, have you? Supposed to be economical.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM

The three day ticket is for the vaporetto,or water bus.The water taxi is private and much more expensive.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM

I have just done this. The Alilaguna http://www.alilaguna.it/ (different from the ACTV water bus that runs thru the city) takes more than an hour, slightly faster on Gold direct line (and more expensive)

If I were to do it over again, this is one item I would splurge. I was in this hot slow boat for more than an hour while water taxis zipped by.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Just a thought. Everyone has different budgets and also different taste.

The water taxi will cost close to a 100euro. But so will a 50 minute Gondola ride. I would prefer to spend the money on the water taxi versus the Gondola ride, especially if the hotel I was staying at has a dock so the water taxi can take you directly to your hotel.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:00 PM

>>someone please share their experiences on getting from the Venice airport to San Marco area<<

This was my only experience (unlike me, my husband had been to Venice before):

"In the morning we landed at Marco Polo Airport, near Venice. My husband was going for a business meeting, so we had someone to meet us, and that made things so much easier.

A sharply-dressed young man from Bucintoro Viaggi greeted us and efficiently got us onto a shuttle bus and then onto a water taxi bound for town. The ride of about 45 mins. was surreal. Despite getting some sleep, we were bleary-eyed and unequal to the novel experience of going into town by water.

We arrived via the Lagoon, were handed up to the doormen, and were ushered in to hotel reception."

And on leaving (also excerpted from my 05 trip report):

"One last breakfast, and then goodbye to Venice. We left in the rain. A very nice young woman from Bucintoro Viaggi came and helped us into a water taxi. She rode with us to the airport. The water was choppy in the bad weather, but we got a last look at buildings along the Grand Canal, and at islands in the open water.

Lucia got our luggage tended to at Marco Polo and saw us off to the gate as efficiently as we had been greeted on Sunday."

Don't know the cost, but if we ever return to Venice (and I suppose we will, sooner or later), then we'll use Bucintori Viaggi again (or some other travel company) to greet us, and a water taxi to transport us, even if it's on our own dime.

I can't describe to you how much easier it was for me, jet-lagged as I was, to let someone else cope with things rather than grappling with them myself. If you don't get profoundly jet-lagged, or if you look to economize, or even if you simply prefer to do things for yourself, then you may disagree completely with what I say.

But those were our experiences.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM

I was looking for this same information. Now I'm on Aliguna's Web site and don't understand the timetable abbreviations. For example, BLU Line (SMA-APT). We arrive at the airport at 8:20 am on Sunday, Aug 20. Which table of times do I use?

Also, what is the difference between the Blue Line and the Red Line other than it looks like the Red Line is faster. The FAQ on their Web site says the cost is 10 Euro. I can't imagine both lines cost the same.

"Question:
How much does it cost from Venice to the Airport?
Answer:
The cost of one ticket is 10 € per person."

Thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM

I get the abbreviations!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM

We just got back from Venice and were going to take a waeter taxi for 150.00 for 8 of us but I thought we had to much luggage and opted for a mini bus since we were near Piazza le Roma. The driver met us at our hotel(antiche figure---wonderful!) and after 2 small bridges we loaded in a minibus and were at the airport in maybe 20 minutes. It cost 100.00 euro for all of us.

I would have loved to been able to take the taxi back. We did have a taxi ride to murano and that was very nice.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:33 AM

modglila,

If you are going to San Marco, then it doesn't matter whether you take the red line or the blue line - they are about the same time between the airport and San Marco. The differnce between them is the different islands they stop at between the airport and San Marco - since you are going to the end of either line (San Marco) it doesn't matter which one you take. Just take whichever one is leaving the airport first.

As for timetables, ignore them. Both lines leaves every 20 minutes or so. Just get your Alilaguna ticket in the airport terminal and hop on the first boat leaving.

BTW, tickets are now <b>11&euro;</b> per person (either line). The website should be updated to reflect this soon.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:49 AM

My flight arrives around 9PM. Is the water taxi my best option then?

If I don't want to incur that cost which btw cost more than my plane ticket, would it be better to:

a. take the water bus all the way to dorsoduro; or
b. take the land bus to piazza le roma and then take the vaporetto from there?
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM

If the water taxi costs more than your airfare, you are presumably coming from Europe or the UK. The city bus/vaporetto is easy to get, fast, and very cheap. It is not a magical entrance to the city, but it is an interesting ride.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM

We took a cab to Piazza le Roma, and then a water taxi to our hotel. I think it's a bit cheaper then taking the water taxi straight from the airport. The water taxi was about 50euro for 4 of us (2 years ago). I would avoid the vaparetto, as Venice is not conducive to dragging your luggage, and the water taxi can take you right to your hotel.
It was definitely worth the splurge for the taxi. VERY fun, as Rufus mentions.

have a great trip!
dina
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your stories/input.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM

We are still not sure which alternative is best for us so I have yet another question. Thanks for being so helpful!

I get motion sick...a lot. Don't even suggest Dramamine. Everyone says, &quot;Just take Dramamine.&quot; That isn't an option for everyone. I know someone would suggest it and I can't take the medicine. I have other little tricks, but an hour on the boat might not be a good way for me to start out my stay in Venice.

We were thinking about the bus option. The bus drops you at Piazza le Roma, right? We could take a vaporetto from there BUT, I saw that the vaporettos only allow one bag person.

Option One: Leave a bag at the train station, but we are going from the airport to Venice then to the train station and never back to the airport.

Option Two: Beg them to let us take more than one or pay extra to take more than one per person.

Option Three: Ditch the plan to take the bus

Option Four: Walk all the way to the hotel from Piazza le Roma. Probably not a viable option. We are four or five blocks North West of Saint Mark's Square.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
HKP

I get as motion sick as anyone you've ever met -- Dramamine not only doesn't help, it makes it worse sometimes because I'm too foggy to focus. But we took the water taxi to the airport, and it was just fine for me.

You won't have a problem with the water taxi -- in fact, it's less of a problem than the vaporettos can occasionally be. And I suggest you'll be better off with the sustained motion of the taxi than the intermittent stopping of the vaporetto. The main problem is the few moments at the dock, arriving and departing, when the boat may bobble with other boats' wake. If you take anything that isn't &quot;nonstop&quot; (as the water taxi is), you have to put up with that bobbling around each time you stop.

But I can't imagine anything more magical than being in the watertaxi and approaching San Marco, esp. at night.