Getting from Santorini to Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please advise on any tips for travel between Santorini and Athens. My wife and I will be in Santorini before going to Athens for a couple days prior to returning home. We will be leaving Santorini on May 24 (Sunday). We would like to have some time in Athens that day to explore.

What is the deal with the highspeed ferries? I can only find info for one which leaves around 5 arriving in Athens about 10. Is there not one earlier in the day?

Is our best option the regular ferry leaving Santorini at 7:00 am and arriving in Athens at 3:30?

I looked at Aegean. Despite their advertised sale of 39 euro for domestic flights, an actual search comes back with 113 euro per person. That is a bit expensive. Any thoughts on the discrepancy.

Thank you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

The highspeeds are only added to the schedule as needed, so it's uncertain if there will be any more available by the 24th. The good news is that they won't be full in May so you don't need to book ahead of time. You can wait until you're there to see what's available when you need it.

The Aegean 39 euro fares are promotional and as such are sold out very quickly. Have a look at the Athens Airways website, they may have something more affordable on the 24th.

http://www.athensairways.com/cgi-bin...i?ZF=2&LANG=EN
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

The Aegean Saver fares fares for May 24th are gone, and all that is left is fully Flex at €113. If you look closer, you will see that after taxes the total fare is €134.

You are lucky to be travelling back to Athens on a Sunday - that's the only day a Blue Star leaves for Piraeus in the morning. Last year Hellenic Seaways had a highspeed departing Santorini around 11am, but they seem to have changed it to 5pm for this year.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Just booked a flight on Athens Airways. It was much cheaper than Aegean and the time was good.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove,

I've seen other posts about the train from the airport to downtown. We are staying at Hotel Attalos which I believe is centrally located. Would you happen to know which stop we would want on the train?

Thank you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM

Monastiraki Station on the Blue Line. But check schedules since the Blue Line to the airport has been under construction and I frankly don't know when it's scheduled to reopen.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM

True, the Blue Line is not open all the way to the airport, but you can still get to Monastiraki without much trouble. Take the Suburban Railway train from the airport to the Neratziotissa Station and transfer there to the Green Line to the Monastriaki Station. The Attalos Hotel is on Athinas Street, 2 blocks from Monastiraki Square.