Search

Eurail from Rome to San Marino

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurail from Rome to San Marino

Hi guys,
I have a eurail pass for italy and hoping to go to San Marino.
Can I get into San Marino using this pass?
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Hi I think so Sophie!!
Having fun!
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM

No - but close to it at Rimini - take a train to Rimini then frequent local buses - dirt cheap - to San Marino itself - an old train line once went up there but has been pulled up long ago - the buses I am sure do not accept Eurailpasses but again are dirt cheap - go to www.trenitalia.com and put in Rome and Rimini for the best rail connections - lots of trains but with a pass you do need to make a seat reservation before boarding on all but regional and IC trains - costing 10 euros per seat per train - so if you have to change like probably then it adds up so try to get as direct trains as possible.

for lots of great stuff on Italian trains and answers to questions like yours check out these IMO fine sites - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id12.html; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

I loved San Marino and stayed overnight there - some folks do not like it because it is in the town center in daytime very very crowded with tourists - many Italians day tripping in to buy cheaper booze and cigarettes and other taxed-lower good. but if you get away from the commercial tourist hubbub you have a sweet typical Italian hill town, topped by old fortresses.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM

checking timetables on www.bahn.de - German railways web site I use for all European trains indicates San Marino may now have rail service - or it is confusing S Marino with another S Marino. In any case easy to get to by Eurailpass either all by train or a cheap bus ride from a nearby train station.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM

What Pal says is exactly right. Put me down for another who enjoyed overnighting in San Marino. When the day trip folks leave the city transforms. Prices are low compared to surrounding Italy. One thing though, it is quite hilly, so if that is a problem for you, you need to be aware before you go.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM

basingstoke - so there is still no train service to San Marino - the hill town OP talks about? When I was there some time ago there was talk of re-opening the abandoned rail line that once went up there - I think I would have heard of that but not sure - any info on lack of train service or train service from you or others more recently there would be appreciated.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM

anyone with definitive info on whether trains now serve San Marino?

thanx