Senior solo traveller to US for the first time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling to the USA in May and intend to rail with Amtrak from San Fansisco on the Calafornia Zephyr to Chicago, stopping off along the way.

Looking for suggestions of interesting spot
that I shouldn't miss.
I'm interested in the arts
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Do not know from where you are traveling, but trains in the US are not like trains in much of the rest of the world, especially Europe.

They are often late, inconvenient, cold, infrequently cleaned, and stations are usually in the grossest areas of the city. Check schedule of your chosen route carefully to see if you must change trains at 2 AM in some god-foresaken place.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Hello Sheila, in my opinion the Amtrk train from San Francisco..by the way you have to take a bus from San Francisco to the Emeryville Amtrak station which is on the east side of the San Francisco Bay..no Amtrak rails into San Francisco, tends to be terrible. Bathrooms are hardly ever cleaned. And Amtrak is often very very late. I agree with gail's comments. This will not be a pleasure ride for you, or at least it would not be for me. I would fly from San Francisco to Chicago. Best wishes to you and welcome to the United States!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Sheila - my parents have made the same trip on the California Zephyr several times. While, I agree that train travel isn't the most comfortable or convenient option, they really enjoy it. They usually get a private sleeper or room which makes it a little easier. I'm assuming that you want to take the train rather than fly, because you want to see the scenery. What areas are you planning on making stops? Whatever you do make sure that your trip through Colorado is in the daylight hours so you will be able enjoy the beautiful scenery as you pass through the mountains.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Train travel in the US except for a couple of small areas like the Northeast corridor is really extremely unpleasnat and not very practical. The rails are owned by freight company and the few (very few) passenger trains must give way to freight trains which have absolute priority. So - timing is a wish - or a guess - you really have no idea how long any part of the trip might take.

Also, trains are old, dirty, not maintained and the food is absolutely ghastly. On the portion you will take you will often see only the wrong end of town or a whole lot of nothing - and being abandonned on platforms - in nowhere with no services - waiting hours for your next train to arrive is more common than not.

Unfortunatley in most of the US the only sensible and convenient travel options are flying or driving. (Buses are worse than trains - if anything - unless you're on a guided coach tour.)

I suggest either picking one or two spots and flying - or renting a car and driving if you want to see a lot of countryside.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Both Eastbound and Westbound trains are scheduled to cross CO in daylight hours. Actual time will base on your luck.

This is copied from the Amtrak site when you look into California Zephyr tickets:

"Delays may occur on this train due to freight railroad congestion, track work or other operating conditions affecting its schedule. Passengers are encouraged to plan for the possibility of a delay and contact Amtrak at www.amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL on the day of departure to check the train's status. We apologize for any inconvenience passengers may experience due to these operating conditions".

One problem with breaking up journeys is that unlike in Europe, fares are based on markets and not on distance. For example, I can get one-way coach seat ticket coming Tuesday Chicago-Emeryville for $135. However, Chicago-Denver alone is $88; and Denver-Emeryville on the same train is $89. Adding a few more stops will raise your prices rapidly.

One way to do it is to get a railpass. It's 15-day $275 nationwide off-peak (till May 28). Accomodations extra.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I have not had the same experiences with AMTRAK travel that is reflected in several posts here. I have traveled up and down the Pacific Coast many times and have taken some or all of the California Zephyr route several times. I have been late on occasion but I have also been on-time.

The quality of AMTRAK train travel has, in my experience, been much better than other people here have reflected. I often wonder when I see these negative posts if the posters are speaking from personal experience or from vague impressions they have from others.

In any event, I have never had the dirty conditions, too cold or too warm, or the inedible food that others complain of. The quality of food or service is not 5-star but I don't expect it to be. It has always been, in my experience, perfectly acceptable and, since I enjoy train travel, I will continue to take AMTRAK trips when I can. I do recommend the dining car as opposed to the cafe car. The quality of food in the cafe car is, indeed, abysmal.

As to your original question, The only stops I might suggest enroute, with your emphasis on the arts, would be Salt Lake City or Denver. Each has a fair selection of museums and galleries. It has been too many years since I have been in Omaha for me to know if a stop there would be worthwhile.

I might also make a stop in Reno, with the idea of visiting the Virginia City, Nevada area, just south of Reno. Parts of it are a little touristy now but it is still an original old frontier mining town and might allow you a picture of the early western US you would not get in any other way. If you have the time before you leave on this trip, you might also want to make a day trip from San Francisco to Sacramento. The Old Town Sacramento area will also give you a flavor for the US frontier.

Enjoy your visit with us and do give us a trip report of your impressions.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM

I'm probably the biggest rail buff here and I've taken the "California Zephyr"..when I did it was almost four hours late.

The roadbed between California and Omaha was fairly smooth; across Iowa and into Illinois it was pretty rough.

The food is at best average to mediocre in my opinion and I am NOT a "picky eater."

As others have sdaid, this is not going to be what folks are used to in Europe but IMO it beats the bus.

As to scenery, the most spectacular is probably the section above Sacramento over the Sierras...the Nevada desert (in daylight) can be inspiring for some; Up over the Rockies in Colorado, Glenwood Canyon, etc., also good.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip but just remain aware of what it is and isn't.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Definitely get a sleeper car. I'm not familiar with the route to suggest stopping points. Are you thinking of getting off the train for a couple days or just a few hours?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM

There is no such thing as getting off for a few hours. The train runs once a day, so it's multiple of 24-hours, more or less.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:40 AM

topping for Sheila1