Train timetables Italy

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train timetables Italy

Do other posters have the same frustrations I have with websites? All I want to do is find a Train Timetable setting out all departure times per day (or week) from and to nominated Italian cities. But all I can get are websites that want me to enter my departure date and time in first, and then it will (presumably) come back and tell me if anything is available or not.
Cart before horse? I need to see the whole day's or week's schedules in one big chart - both departure and arrival times between my selected from/to points - BEFORE I can make any sensible selection of departure time. Not unreasonable surely?
Does anyone know a website that will give me that info?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM

Use www.bahn.de which will give Italian schedules without checking availability. In any case, most trains do not have compulsory seat reservation so are always available.
Train times are generally similar every day of the week, except on Sundays, and for commuter services which are much reduced at weekends. Therefore, if you just want a general idea of frequency and journey times, put in any date, such as today's. Trains on many lines in Italy run every hour or so.
I find it helpful to look at the Thomas Cook European Timetable which has diagramatic maps and timetables that easily show the frequency and pattern of services. Public libraries sometimes have a copy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM

I agree. Because I answer two or three questions a day I use the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, which lays out a month’s trains on a page or two. The drawback is cost: I subscribe at 150 British pounds a year. For an American planning a rail tour it is often worth while to buy a single copy for about 23 dollars, plus postage and packing, perhaps 35 dollars. With this in hand a traveller can plan a journey, then take it along, to use to see whether a train is late, where the next stop will be, and what trains run, that is, to control the journey as they go. Travellers can see an advertisement for the book and buy it for 11 pounds 50 plus postage and packing, on www.thomascookpublishing.com/, or on Amazon at 27.83 dollars per copy.

The nearest you can get to what you want online is to go to a website, such as the German Rail one, choose a date roughly when you travel, ask for a departure after 0001, then keep n adding requests for later connections, but I cannot call that convenient. It works fairly well as most European expresses run daily, but you need to watch out for trains that run only at weekends, or not at weekends.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM

I've also used Swiss rail www.sbb.ch and found it completely reliable for planning ahead in Italy. The only real problem we had there recently was booking particular seats on a Eurostar between Perugia and Rome, ie in Perugia the day before, and having the wrong sort of carriages turn up, so our seats weren't in the configuration we'd booked!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
ira

Hi two,

If you check the trains at www.trenitalia.com for M-Fri and Sat and Su, I think that you will find the same weekday schedules and the same weekend schedules all year.

It doesn't care if anything is available.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Check out the Personal Timetable option on the Bahn (German railway) site at http://persoenlicherfahrplan.bahn.de...ry-p2w.exe/en?
This lets you do exactly what you want (and does work for Italy as well).

Paul
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the website suggestions that hopefully will help me to plan our trip. We usually drive in Europe (although we backpacked Turkey & the Greek Islands a while back), so trains are a new experience. It's not that we want to prebook, but we do need to explore what places connect to what, and how frequently.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Wow, just tried the site

http://persoenlicherfahrplan.bahn.de...ry-p2w.exe/en?

I've used the bahn.de site over the years but never saw that feature. It's great!

Thanks for posting it Paul!!