Reload this Page >

Getting from London to Warwick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:49 PM
aforey

Hi, I have a few questions. This is my first trip to London and I am trying to plan a visit to Warwick Castle. Does anyone know if I can take a train directly from London to Warwick to see the castle? Do the train tickets need to be purchased ahead of time? Also, are there any other castles not far from London that can be reached by train?<BR>Thanks!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:20 PM
kam

Trains leave from Paddington and Marylebone stations. Try to get a direct train which only takes about 2 hours and does not require you to switch at Leamington Spa. Don't go on weekends when trains are more difficult.It's a wonderful castle--plan on several hours to see it. Have lunch at Charlotte's tea house. Other castles accessible from London by train are Arundel,Dover,and of course Windsor. We never bother to book train tickets ahead, just go to the correct station and buy a "return ticket".

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Heather B.

Hello,<BR><BR>You can reach Warwick from London's Marylebone station. The trip is under 2 hours. You can purchase your ticket on the day you want to travel. <BR><BR>Last month, I stayed in Leamington Spa, with the idea of visiting Stratford-upon -Avon, & whatever else I might come across. When I got to Leamington Spa, everyone heavily recommended Warwick and mentioned that Stratford is very touristy. The day I was supposed to go to Stratford was incredibly wet, so I reluctantly changed my plans and went to Warwick instead. What a great place! I had the best time. The Castle has lots to see (even in the rain!) and I missed many of the places in town because I ran out of time. The Castle is within easy walking distance from the train station. I'm hoping to visit this area again next year.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Jayne

Easy peasey...<BR><BR>http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/your_visit/how_to_get_here.html<BR><BR>Tube to Marylebone station - Rail to Warwick Castle... If you click on the map - it looks you may need to catch a bus or take a taxi.. If you are unsure you can always email them and check!!<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/index.html

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Frank

My son and I took the train from London to Warwick last year and it was very easy. Just follow the train directions from previous posters. You buy tickets the day of trip. Once in Warwick, it is a small town and you will walk to the castle, but it a pleasant, fun walk. There's a pub en route where we had a nice meal. One thing we did not check on was the train return time, so we had to wait a while at the Warwick station without really knowing when the return train was coming. But it eventually did. The train station in Warwick is very basic and small. But that's what makes it fun. Warwick Castle itself is awesome. Have fun.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:19 AM
ron

It is probably worth mentioning that the Chiltern Railways , which operates the trains between London Marylebone and Warwick have a number of promotional fares that might save you money. These include a combined cheap day return ticket and castle entrance, as well as family tickets. See the website: http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Boomerbabe

Did anyone say Leeds Castle?<BR>When are you going?<BR>Starting in early March, the London Walks have a day trip to Canterbury and Leeds Castle every Friday. It's 10 pounds, plus your train fare and admissions, but you get a nice walking tour in each of the two places, plus some free time. I haven't gone on this one, but intend to next visit to London.<BR>london.walks.com

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Ben Haines

It is almost alarming, how much this forum knows.<BR><BR>Welcome to England<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:28 PM
topping

topping for aforey.<BR>where are you?