Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Heathrow to Blackfriars area

Feb 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have advice on best and cost effective travel from Heathrow to Blackfriars area - the train to Paddington leaves one a good distance and a an expensive taxi (15 - 20 GBP) from my hotel. The bus to Victoria will be long, because of London traffic (1 1/2 hours) and then an expensive taxi (15 GBP). The tube for me is not practical because of escalators and luggage. Has anyone hired a minicab to meet and greet at Heathrow - I have heard that one can hire one for approximately 40 GBP - but that has not been confirmed, nor do I have a name of company. Thanks!
Feb 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Check out "just airports". Lots of people like it and I know my wife did.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM

I agree - if you can't take the tube, a car service is really your only practical/cost effective option. Just airports is very good -- and gives a discount if you pay cash.

BTW - if you don't have a whole slew of luggage - the tube would not be that bad. You get off the Piccadilly line train at Hammersmith station, walk a few feet across the same platform (not a single stair step) and board a District line train that will take you to Blackfriars.
Feb 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM

You might also want to take the Tube to a step-free station in town and hail a cab from there. These stations are shown at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-guide-map.pdf

(Note the difference between step-free connections vs. step-free station egress.)
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM

The link is www.justairports.com & it will cost more than quoted if you pay with a credit card so pay cash when you take it. You don't pay in advance. I've always had good luck with them.