Getting around Paris

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting around Paris

We will be arriving in Paris on Wednesday Oct 19th. I understand that a Carte Orange is only good for Mon-Fri, so it probably won't work out for us. We plan to take public transportation from CDG into Paris. Do we need to buy separate fares for that trip, or will a regular metro ticket work? After we arrive in Paris I guess we'll just buy a carnet or two to get around for the next week. Sound Good?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Actually you could get the Carte Orange, and use it Wed-Sun. Wednesday is the last day you can buy it for the week. If you came on Monday, you could use it through Sunday.

If you are there Wednesday through Sunday, I'd get a Carte Orange, because I'd make full use of it.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM

However, I don't think you can buy the Carte Orange at CDG, but I could be wrong (there are lots of threads about this here).
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

If I can buy a Carte Orange at CDG, can I use that to take the RER into Paris?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

And, we have to have photos, right?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Yes, you can buy the Carte Orange at the RER station at CDG.

They are sold by "zones" and most of the sights are in Zones 1-2, so you should probably get one of those. To get into Paris, you will need to pay extra, since the airport is in zone 5.

You need a passport photo.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Or, would it be better to take the RoissyBus into town that everyone keeps talking about. We're staying in a hotel on Blvd. St Michel near Blvd. St. Germaine.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM

for travel in paris ask for carte mobilis zone 1.its a day pass. around €5. i found it a good deal. buy the carnet for the last morning of your holiday and split it with your family.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Don't bother buying the Carte Orange at CDG. Just buy an RER ticket to get into Paris (€7.85), and then once in central Paris (either Gare du Nord or St Michel or another one of those stations), buy your Carte Orange there.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone, you've been very helpful. But I still need to know if would it be better to take the Roissy Bus into Paris, or the RER as planned? I keep reading that there might be a luggage issue on the RER. (We will have 2 medium suitcases and a small carry on.)
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM

I don't disagree, but "better" is a subjective evaluation that is different for every individual. For some, the convenience and door-to-door service justifies the cost of a taxi. Others may want the absolute cheapest way, regardless of the rigor it entails. Many students meet this criterion. Rail is also the fastest trip in most cases, which people with a meeting schedule might appreciate. Roissybus is a compromise between price, speed, and hassle. It just depends.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM

IF you can find a working photo booth at CDG (I walked around for 30 minutes last year trying to find a working one at Gare du Nord), then you can take a B&W photo & use that.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:51 PM
ira

Hi J,

Go to http://www.adp.fr
Click "welcome" in the bottom left corner.
Click "roissy"
You will see all of your options.

To get from the bus or train stops to your hotel, go to http://www.ratp.fr/
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! Great suggestions. I have a better idea what to do now. Au Revoir!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM

I will say though that next time I go to Paris, I might want to try the Roissybus. When you take the RER, you do realize that you have to take an shuttle bus to the RER station, then figure out how to use the machine or wait in line to buy the ticket, manage to fit the suitcase through the RER turnstile, each time stowing your heavy suitcase somewhere.

When you take the Roissybus, they basically stow the suitcase under the bus, don't they?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Since there are at least two of you, I'd just take a taxi myself, but I don't like dealing with all those public transportation hassles on arrival to save a little money. I know a lot of people don't like spending on taxis. Do you feel comfortable walking on the street with that baggage for about 3-4 blocks? If your suitcase is about a 22" one, I think you could, but if it's larger, you might not want to. The reason I asked is that if you hotel is at the intersection of bds St Michel and St Germain, that is about that far from the RER stop. That is pretty convenient. You won't get a taxi to take you those few blocks, anyway (unless maybe you promise to pay them a lot more than the meter maybe). I wouldn't worry about the baggage space if you are getting on at CDG as there should be plenty of room at that point. Dealing with baggage in the RER stations and the stairs, etc, is another story.

The Roissybus stop will require you to take a taxi from there, anyway--if you take the metro, that will be worse than the RER in a lot of ways (including the fact that there is no direct line between Opera and near St Michel or Odeon) and there wouldn't be any point to taking the bus if you do that, it seems to me.

YOu could also take the Air France bus to Montparnasse tower and then a taxi from there. That might be slightly more convenient traffic-wise than getting a taxi at Opera to cross the river. You never know, but I probably would, as sometimes there can be problems crossing the river and with traffic right around the Seine (as well as around the Opera).
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 03:41 AM
amelia

Take the taxi. Leave your luggage at the hotel. Go to the nearest Metro with your 1-inch photo you've cut out from a snapshot at home. Get the Carte Orange.

Done. You are now officially on vacation.

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Sounds good to me, Amelia. I am willing to take the RER to Paris from the airport, but I refuse to haul my big suitcase through the metro, with its long passages and many stairs. That's just nuts. Both times I went to Paris, I took the RER to the Gare du Nord and then I took a taxi (both times under €10 - well worth it)
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:23 AM

If your hotel is on the Blvd. St. Michel and close to the Blvd. St. Germain, you can take the RER directly to St. Michel and walk to the hotel, assuming that you do not have too much luggage.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I agree that schlepping luggage through the Métro is no fun, but if your hotel is along the route of RER B, you can just stay on until you're closer to your hotel (it goes through the Latin Quarter), THEN take the taxi. There is no law mandating that you get off at Gare du Nord.

There are also some fairly painless connections to other RER lines at Châtelet and St.-Michel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -