Search

Getting Around Luxembourg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Around Luxembourg

Hi All!
I'm taking my family on a trip to BeNeLux. After covering parts of the Netherlands and hitting many sites in Belgium, we'll take the train to Luxembourg City (from Brussels). What I'm struggling with is leaving Lux City and getting to Arnhem, Netherlands, with some possible stops along the way (Bastogne, Clervaux, Vianden). In my ideal world, these would all be on the train route back to Amsterdam. Not so. Only Clervaux is.

So, is it worth the extra time and hassle to take buses to Bastogne and Vianden on the way to Arnhem?

If not, would anyone recommend taking a high speed train from Lux City to Amsterdam, and then the InterCity down to Arnhem?

Any other thoughts of the area (Ardennes) is greatly appreciated. It doesn't look like we'll have much time left by this point in the trip (after Amsterdam, The Hague, Brussels, Ghent, Bruges, Ieper). So if there isn't a halfway streamlined option, I may have to skip some things. My two kids are early teenagers, for what that's worth.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:53 AM

If doing so many train in Benelux investigate the Benelux Railpass - great train info- www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. Check www.bahn.de/en for easy schedules to reference,
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

You could go via Germany to Arnhem. Doesn't help with seeing what you want to see on the way but means you don't double back from Amsterdam.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:59 AM

Hit Bastogne on way to Luxembourg then take train to Clervaux and bus to Vianden and then Clervaux to Liege and over to Antwerp - yes to get to Arnhem may be best to go thru Germany and down the gorgeous Mosel Valley to Koblenz then Cologne - Arnhem.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:51 AM

If not, would anyone recommend taking a high speed train from Lux City to Amsterdam, and then the InterCity down to Arnhem?>

There are no high-speed trains from Lux city to Amsterdam but you catch them at Antwerp, though regular IC trains are cheaper usually and no need to book in advance- no seat reservations possible.
check the German route to Arnhem - could be quicker and a nice route up the Rhine.