Getting around London

Mar 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Getting around London

I need help getting around London. We're flying into London Gatwick, and flying out of Stansted the next morning at 5:00 AM. What's the cheapest way to get from one place to the next? Any ideas on where to stay?
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Where you're staying rather greatly impacts the best ways to get around. Leaving that early, though, I would heartily recommend staying somewhere near Stansted, as it can be quite difficult to get to Stansted by 3 am or so (being early for the flight) from many places (tube shuts down, only infrequent night buses, etc.).
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Actually, the flight leaves at 7:10, we just need to be there by 5:00. I was thinking about staying near the airport somewhere. Do you know of a cheap train that will take us from point A to B?
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM

How many are "we" and what's the arrival time at LGW? That will possibly determine the cheapest transport between (IMHO) this dreadful London airport-airport transfer.

For a flight that early, I'd also recommend you stay out at STN although the airport hotels there may not be that cheap. You don't mention your budget but ask for the "cheapest way".

The trains between LGW and STN will not work out cheap at all. The cheapest route is likely to be by National Express coach but it does depend on how many of you there are.
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are on a budget. (We are students going to Copenhagen for a study abroad program.)

There are 2 of us.
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM

For trains:

Don't take the Gatwick express, there's no need to pay the extra, unless you're really crunched for time, although in this case I think the extra may be just a pound or so (it's quite a bit less if you're going on from Victoria instead of just alighting there). Unless you need to travel in the morning rush hour, the fare will be 22.50 GBP per person to take the trains, take the Southern service to Victoria, take another train there to Tottenham Hale (just look for it on the big boards), and a train from there to Stansted Airport (if you avoid the Gatwick Express, the fare may be slightly less; I didn't feel like fussing with the website quite that much, it's http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html if you want to try it yourself).
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

When do these trains run? We won't be getting into Gatwick until 10:00PM.

Mar 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Ah, that makes things much more interesting. The last train out of Gatwick is at 10:05 (doubt you'd make it through customs & baggage in 5 minutes, if you do, let us all know how), the first one leaves at 3:30 am and gets to Stansted at 5:46 (pushing it for your flight, but you should be fine). If you're REALLY on a budget, according to http://tinyurl.com/ojfty, Gatwick isn't too bad of a place to spend a few hours sleeping and get that first train. Not the greatest start, but if makes you feel any better, I'm spending a night in Luton in a couple of weeks, and it's by no means uncommon (plus you save the cost of the hotel). Or, you could look into alternatives: bus and/or tube (tfl.gov.uk), coach (nationalexpress.com, the last one leaves Gatwick at 9:45, but the first is at 2:10 and gets you there at 5 am, costs 25 GBP), or cab (but that will defnitely bust your budget).
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I lied. I'm sorry. (You're being very helpful by the way.) We get into Gatwick at 10:00AM.

I'm sorry.
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I guess the timing of the trains wouldn't be an issue then.
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

What is a coach? (I'm American, I'm sorry I don't understand all of the British terminology.)
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM

10 am isn't nearly so bad, you can easily catch the train (and at 25GBP for the coach vs ~22.50 for the train, it's probably the cheapest option). You'd even have time to stop off in central London for a few hours (the train ticket is good all day, as long as you keep moving towards Stansted).
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Coach is a big bus sort of thing (like Greyhound runs in the states).
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

OK. So, you're saying that I can buy a ticket thru National Rail going from London Gatwick to London Stansted, with 2 stops (London Victoria and Tottenham Hale). However, I can stop in the middle of my journey for a while to check out the city as long as I complete my journey on the same day? So, the ticket won't put me on specific trains that I must ride? I can just pick one that's convenient, as long as it is on the correct day and going to the correct destination?

Is London Victoria where I would want to stop and look around? Which stop is closest to the center of London?

How far in advance do I need to buy the ticket? Can I get it at the airport or do I need to reserve a seat now? (We're not going until May.) I just need to know what's going on so that I can book a hotel reservation.

Thanks so much.
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Yes, you can break the journey anywhere along the way (and you don't have to take the second leg from Victoria, if your travels take you closer to another station that goes to Stansted; it'll say "Any Permitted", meaning you can take any route to Stansted). Just hop on the train going the right way (note that it won't be valid on the tube, though, just rail services, so it won't help you get around central London).

Victoria is where that train stops, so you'll have to get off; Buckingham & Trafalgar are walking distance from there (the City and the Tower really aren't, unless you really want to walk a good ways, though you can take the tube, but it's somewhat expensive at 3 GBP per ride when paying in cash).

You can walk up to a machine or a person at the station and get the ticket, there's no advantage to getting it ahead.

Someone else can probably answer if they've got a place to store your bags at Victoria, which is probably one of the next questions; I'm not sure myself.
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Neopolitan

You know you have started three separate threads on this same topic and have had involved discussions on all of them, mostly the same. I'd suggest you just keep one of them alive if you want to keep the discussion going or need more help.

Are you aware that when you come to this page, if you use your mouse to click onto your screen name next to where it says "welcome" at the top of the page, it will bring up all your previous posts in the left hand column?

Now please don't consider this rude. I'm trying to help you learn to use this board effectively.

Mar 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Excuse me. I was trying to figure out how to get to my old postings, but didn't want to scroll thru a month of threads. Now I know how to get to them, or as you would say, how to use this board effectively. I just find it entertaining that you are wasting your time reading ALL of my involved discussions, and yet not responding to me with any advice.
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM

In Neapolitans defense, you only have 3 involved discussions (though, in your defense, you didn't start the one).
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:55 AM

For the sake of completeness in case anyone else wants advice on Gatwick-Stansted, another option is to take a train from Gatwick to London Bridge, and from there by 149 or 47 bus (or taxi) to Liverpool St for the Stansted Express.

In this case, the question is whether that gives better options for seeing a bit of London en route than Victoria - tube- Tottenham.

Not a lot in it. London Bridge/Liverpool St takes you nearer St Pauls, Victoria takes you nearer Westminster and the parks. But with most of the afternoon to play with, the tube would get you around in central London quite easily anyway.

There is a left luggaage facility at Liverpool St.
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM

For a 7:00am flight from Stansted you could sleep at the airport - www.sleepinginairports.net - just get there early as they'll be hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of others doing exactly the same thing.

Alternatively follow the travel advice from the Stansted Airport website - www.stanstedairport.com - and get an early coach (ie 4:00am) from Victoria or the Stansted Express from Liverpool Street (1st one of the day is about 4:30am)

I wouldn't recommend leaving any later as whilst your flight is at 7:10am, the checkin for it will close at 6:30am

BTW the left luggage office at Liverpool Street closes at 11:00pm & don't reopen until 4:30am. At other stations in London they don't reopen until 7:00am