Getting around Ireland w/o a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! My son and a friend are heading to Ireland for 10 days this summer on Buddy Passes for High School graduation. We have lots of books of hostles and such but were concerned about them getting around by bus or train. As they are both 18 they can't rent a car. They are hoping to fly into Dublin or Shannon whichever flight gets them over there. (from the US) Will they be able to get around the area? Love any help with their trip.

Concerned Mom!
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM

They will have better access to rail travel from Dublin. The rail system in Ireland works like spokes from a wheel with Dublin as the hub.

Bill
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM

It is possible - I did 3 weeks in Ireland with no car and took both trains and buses. Buses will get you more places if they want to do smaller towns. Or they might consider doing 1/2 in Dublin and 1/2 in Galway (if I were an 18 year old that's where I'd want to spend my time). There are plenty of good day trips that could be done from those cities as well if they wanted to see the countryside, hike, etc.

And you didn't ask but since they are looking at hostels...we stayed at the Barnacles hostel in both Dublin and Galway - they were both very central, clean and safe.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Check out the BusEireann web site. They could buy Bus Passes and travel fairly cheaply. Or, www.Paddywagon.com might interest them. Paddywagon tours has 6-day tours from Dublin that include transportation & lodging (hostals).
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I will check out the web sights you all mentioned. And yes the hostel suggestion is great as that is what they want to do. Tours are high are the list as mom won't be with them this time to orgainize it! I will let everyone know how 3 young men (babies to me) get around...they want to see the landscape and walk through the countryside. (history buffs)
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I would strongly recommend Paddywagon Tours, as well. It is an organized tour in an "unorganized" fashion, meaning they cater to a younger clientelle and are therefore laidback. They offered both structured tours and a Hop-on/Off service which allows for more time in a specific area. they will book hostels for you on the Hop-on/off tour but on the regular tours, it is included in the price. Paddywagon is a very reasonably priced tour, as well, which is another reason I recommend them to the younger set.

Slan Beo,

Bit