Search

Getting Around in Woodbridge?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Around in Woodbridge?

Hello,

I just learned about the Maverick Music Festival in Easton Farm Park, Woodbridge at the end of June, which is when my husband and I are planning vacation. We'd started to plan something else but hadn't booked anything yet and are intrigued by this.

We've from the U.S. and have never been outside of London in the UK, and neither of us feels comfortable about driving on the opposite side than we're used to; I'm an uncomfortable driver even here at home.

I see that we can easily take a train from London to Woodbridge, but would there be a way for us to get to and from the music festival, assuming we find lodging relatively nearby, without a car, or would a car be a must? Or, would a car also be a must for seeing what's worth seeing in the area (I realize that "worth seeing" is subjective so just go according to your own sensibilities)? Would we be able to get to the coast by bus or taxi?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The venue is a farm out in the country -- about 10 miles from the station in Woodbridge so you'd pretty much have to take a taxi. Trains hit the coast in places like Ipswich and Lowestoft but having a car would make exploring much easier. It isn't hard to drive -- maybe takes an hour or two to acclimate, after that is is just driving.

I'd rent a car
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 10:37 PM

Rural music festivals assume you do one of three things:
- bring your own caravan or other motorised accommodation onsite
- camp on site, either with your own kit or renting something from the range of camping facilities the festival provides
- stay offsite, driving in daily.

A handful are in locations close enough to walk into from B&Bs: Maverick isn't one of them.

Relying on taxis is usually a logistical nightmare: even if there are taxis close enough to your remote B&B to get to the site, it's almost always impossible to organise an accessible offsite, neighbouring, pickup point you can safely get to in the dark at the day's end. And mobile phone coverage at rural festivals is never reliable enough for you to be able to depend on them to get home when everyone else is trying to get a signal at the same time.

<b> If you do decide on a taxi, be prepared for a chaotic, fraught, meander in traffic-choked pitch darkness for at least an hour every night</b> Possibly (this IS England) in pouring rain

My own experience (we live in a street within relatively easy walking distance of one such festival) is that organisers, however hard they think they're trying to meet all visitor needs, are inevitably unreliable about the practicalities of arrangements for people who don't fall into the three categories I listed at the beginning of this reply.

Asking them for advice is highly likely to yield statements that just won't be honoured on the day.

Sadly: unless you're prepared to camp onsite, there's no sane alternative to hiring a car for the whole time. Which means driving there from London.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:38 AM

I used to live in that area when the USAF base was still open, and assure you a car is essential, even when not going to a music festival. The postal address for Easton Farm Park is Woodbridge, but the park is actually at the village of Easton, which as janisj wrote is about 10 miles from Woodbridge.

Anytime a music festival is in that area, e.g. the Latitude near Southwold, the narrow roads are jammed, and the A12 trunk road gets long tailbacks. That's why most people bring tents to stay for the duration, and wear rubber wellie boots (it gets muddy when it rains).

I'd forgotten that Woodbridge has a train station. It's off the main line, and we always used to drive to Ipswich when we wanted a train to London.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:44 AM

If you decide to rent a car, suggest taking the train to Ipswich and finding an agency there, including Enterprise Rent-a-Car, which will pick you up at the station. I've never used the Ipswich Enterprise, but have nothing but praise for the ones I've used in the UK and US.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for my delayed reply, some unexpected things intervened. I really appreciate your all taking the time to respond. There's a chance we'll have to take our vacation a few weeks later, I'll know in about a week - that would make this option moot. If we're able to continue with current plans, still thinking about it...

DH is sounding more game, I'm still feeling scared. All the pre-loaded camping facilities for people like us are already booked, so based on your replies we'd definitely need to rent a car. Tho the festival sounds great, I'm leaning toward not being up for the anxiety of that crowded long dark meander each night. Might just go back to our original travel plan.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 08:56 AM

If you are travelling a few weeks later and are around 13-16 July, the Latitude Festival is just up the road from Woodbridge, near Southwold:
http://www.latitudefestival.com/news...ckets-sale-now

Same applies, though, you really need a car for rural Suffolk.