Getting Around in Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a student who's spending a few weeks in Crete this summer. I plan to take a ferry to Santorini one weekend, and want to know the best way to get around once I get to the port. Is there a bus from the port to Oia? I also might stay over a night but don't want to make any hotel reservations... is it possible to stay at, let's say, a youth hostel last-minute, even during high season? Somehow I doubt it but I guess it's worth asking.

I hear that Fira is the best for nightlife, and being young I plan to go there at night-- how late does transportation run if I need to get back to Oia? Or maybe I'm better of staying in Fira. Any youth hostels there? Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM

There's a bus at the port that will take you into Fira where you'll need to get a second bus to Oia. Total cost is just under 3 euro.

There's an excellent youth hostel in Oia, the Youth Hostel Oia, near to the bus square. Chances are good for you finding an available bed, and if you know when you're arriving you can actually contact them ahead of time to be sure. This is new for them, it used to be just on a first-come-first-served basis. High season price is 16 euro for a dorm-room bed, and the price includes a simple breakfast.

http://www.santorinihostel.gr/

Buses stop running after about 8:30 PM, perhaps later in peak season. Taxis are also available and will cost you about 12-15 euro but start to get scarce after midnight.

In Fira there are some cheap hotels away from the caldera, and "Santorini Camping".

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks! can anyone recommend a clean, inexpensive hostel in fira?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM

http://www.hostels.com/en/gr.sa.html
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM

The best deal I foung was Summertime Pension. It is a 5 min walk to the main square in Fira town. It may be too expensive for what you want if it is the high season. Out of season the owner will negotiate. Private bathroom and minifridge and TV with balcony.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM

It will be easier to get a hostel-type room than a regular room, but I'd strongly suggest you make a reservation once you decide which weekend you'll be going to Santorini. The island is really busy in the summer. Also look for an a/c room; you'll be happy even if it's more expensive. If you don't want to be tied to a bus, you can also rent a scooter, but that's going to cost about 15 euros a day, much more expensive than a bus.