Reload this Page >

getting a VAT refund

Search

getting a VAT refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 08:40 AM
jim

getting a VAT refund

We applied for a VAT tax refund at the Venice Airport in May. We chose to have the amount credited to our credit card, filled out all the necessary paperwork, got it stamped, etc. Problem: Here it is September (almost October) and still no refund. Is there someone in the U.S. we can contact to find out about the status of our refund. All the info on VAT gives foreign offices to contact, but nothing in the U.S., such as a consulate or something like that. Any ideas?

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 03:59 PM
nancy

Topping this one cause I would like to know more about this also. <BR>Jim, <BR>Did you also post this on the Europe board? <BR>nancy

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 03:01 PM
vance

Jim, <BR> I bought a leather satchel in Venice last year,submitted the paperwork for the tax refund in Berlin where I flew out of and one year later sill no refund. Assuming tracking down the correct authorities and getting it resolved would be nearly impossible I have not persued it. Hope you have better luck. I be glad to hear back if you have any advice.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:56 AM
jim

To Nancy and Vance: Yes, I did post it on the Europe board. One reply said that the VAT refund was taking 4-6 months. So, waiting more than a year seems like too much. <BR>To Vance (and others): We finally did manage to track down a VAT phone number, and my wife spoke to someone and explained the problem. The woman's response: VAT refunds are proceeding at a v-e-e-e-r-y slow pace, so we shouldn't be suprised. Her final words: "Good luck." <BR>The bottom line appears to be that it's a real hit-or-miss thing, and that maybe they'll eventually get around to sending you the money, but don't hold your breath.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:00 AM
Ann

Things take a lot longer over there. Relax. It will happen eventually.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 12:28 PM
Diane

My experiences relate to purchases in the UK only. The past three trips VAT returns credited to my credit card seem to take 6 - 7 months.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:16 PM
Joanna

Check the carbon copies of the VAT forms you should have kept when you put the forms in at the airport. There is a fax number on there and you should send a fax stating when you put in your claim, etc. I did this after waiting for 3 months for VAT refunds from Italy and the payment on my credit card followed soon after.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:01 AM
jim

Thanks to all for replying. Here's a funny story that I must tell since some of you give me the (good) advice of referring to my orginal VAT forms: <BR> <BR>We were dog-tired upon our return, and I when I backed my car out of the space at the airport parking lot, we heard a BUMP-CRUNCH! <BR>Turns out, when we were loading the trunk with suitcases and souvenirs, one of my sons placed a bag right behind my rear tire. In the bag was our VAT form and a container holding Italian olive oil and balsamic vinegar. <BR>So, if any of you know how to read a VAT form drenched in olive oil and vinegar, let me know. (We tried eating the form, and it wasn't bad at all.)