Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Get photos for Carte Orange before I leave for Paris?

May 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Last minute questions: My husband and I don't know if we should bring photos with us for our CO passes we are planning to buy in Paris. Does anyone know if it is easy to get them when you are buying the pass? If so, how much are the photos? (In the states they charge approximately 12 American Dollars for photos for 1 person).
Also, can they be photos cut from a picture or do they have to be the official, stand alone head shot?
Thank you!
May 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned we are leaving today. I don't know why I did not think to ask this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
May 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM

You can just cut your face out from a picture , make sure it's about 1" sq. I just took face shots with our digital camera and printed them out.

There are also photo booths in some Metro stations, St Germain , for sure. The price is nowhere near 12 dollars
May 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much! I will bring pictures from home just in case...
May 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM

don't even have to be 'photo stock' paper... just use the digital, and print at home. or cut out old photo, as mentioned above...
May 8th, 2007, 06:05 AM

It's a good idea to photocopy your passports. Make one of each reduced a little bit and cut out the pictures to 1"x1".
May 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I admit that I made a color copy of each passport and used those pictures. It worked very well. I found out later on this board that making a color copy of your passport is illegal, however.
May 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM

On our trip last month, several in our group that didn't already have carte organge passes purchased them and were handed the passes and they had to affix their own photos. When I bought mine years ago, the agent took the photo and trimmed it and affixed it to the pass. This time the ticket agent never saw the photos.
May 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM

We took digital photos at home, printed them on our pc. The agent handed us the cards, and we had to stick them on ourselves. After doing that, we found out no one ever really looks at them. You use the little ticket that comes with it to use the metro, and the bus drivers just saw we had a gray cover and were happy. However, twice my little ticket stopped working. The ticket agents gave me a new one each time. Figured out it was the magnetic latch on my purse that messed up my ticket.
May 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM

You had to stick them on yourselves? It used to be that you had to stick them on the ID card.

Plus ça change...
May 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Sorry. I'm typing too quickly and not editing carefully. I stand corrected.
May 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM
jgg

We were there last March, we brought our own pictures, but the ticket agent was nice enough to trim them and put them on himself. Also, at one point as we were exiting a metro we were stopped by two Metro Police and asked to show our actual cards with the picture on it, so it is important to carry it with you.
May 8th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Just as a matter of curiosity - did the RATP flics actually check to see if you had written the ID card number on your tickets?
May 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Rob - when we were stopped last May, they did check the numbers.
Actually, about 8 agents flooded the car at one stop, checked all the tickets and moved on to another car at the next stop.
May 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM
jgg

I don't recall if they did or not. I know I hadn't written the numbers down, but the agent may have when he was putting on the photos, etc.