Search

Ger's Weekend in the Alentego region of Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ger's Weekend in the Alentego region of Portugal

Hello all:

I know that I have at least half a dozen unfinished trip reports from the past year, and I am hoping to rectify that situation before year-end. In the meantime, here is a trip report on my very short excursion into Portugal.

I have found another treasure: The Alentego region of Portugal!

I took an early flight from London on the Thursday, arriving at 11am in Lisbon. After a long and frustrating wait for my luggage, I proceeded to the car rental building. I was very disappointed to discover that although I had specifically asked for anything BUT a Ford, I had been allocated a Ford Focus Station wagon (absolutely piece of junk, rented once before in France). The clerk was sympathetic (FORD: Fixed and repair daily, he joked) and, as they appeared to have nothing other than Fords available, provided a Ford C-Max Diesel, which, while not what I could call a performance car, was at least equal to the hill towns.

Torrential rain cascaded from low, black clouds as I traversed the spectacular bridge that carries the A12 motorway toward the south. The highway system in Portugal is excellent – roads are new and virtually empty! Within a scant 30 minutes of leaving the airport, the skies finally cleared completely, the air was fresh and warm and I was in open countryside, driving through gently undulating hills, acres of olive trees and scrub.

As always, I had brought a “book on tape” with me to listen to during my drive; “A History of the World”, by by J. M. Roberts is both educational and entertaining and brilliantly read. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/019...s&v=glance). Originally written in the 1970s, updated in 1980s, the story covers a broad spectrum of time and space; from the first civilizations of the Golden Crescent to the present day. Although over 55 hours long, this is not intended to be a comprehensive or in-depth of any particular era or area, it provides an enjoyable panorama of world history for the layman, written by a well-respected Oxford don.

I reached Evora in about 90 minutes, a very easy drive, and my heart palpitated as I anticipated the usual problems of finding my hotel within the confines of the medieval town. Surprisingly, the signage to the hotels is very good and I was able to locate it without any problems. For those of you wishing to locate the Hotel Cartuxa: Drive up the Avenida Tulio Espanca (main road from Lisbon) and enter the walled town through the “Porto do Raimundo” , take a left into a laneway and you will see the hotel ahead. Drive around the little square to your left to find the hotel’s underground car park.

Hotel Cartuxa:
I had originally booked a suite, but was convinced the hotel to accept a twin as the suites are located above the function rooms and there was a large event planned during my stay. I was well pleased with the twin, a large room with a view over the internal gardens. It was decorated in typical Iberian fashion, tiled floors and rustic furniture, spotlessly clean, an excellent marble bathroom, BBC World Service and CNN and even high-speed internet access. For 88 Euros per night, this has to be the best four-star value I have had in Europe. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and most spoke some English. Breakfast, included in the price of the room, was plentiful with a selection of hot and cold dishes. I highly recommend this hotel!

Next: Exploring Evora
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I enjoyed reading your report and am looking forward to the rest of it, Ger. We visited Evora briefly on our way back to Cascais from the Algarve this past July.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Thanks Ger. Been waiting for your report.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wonderful! Did you hear any Fado? I was watching Rick Steves this morning covering Portugal
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Waiting for Evora exploration...
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Sounds great Ger!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

I am so sorry for the delay. I brought back a nasty 'flu from Europe and am still trying to recover and get caught up at work.

regards Ger
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM
yk

Ger-

Hope you get better soon. Your trips make me so jealous. I need to find a new job that will allow me to travel.

Looking forward to more!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Get well soon. We were home with it for a week. Sunday we got flu shots.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM

ttt
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hope you are feeling much better soon, Ger!
I will copy this for my son, who will be visiting Portugal this summer...so thank you!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM

Ger - any chance you could finish this trip report? Thanks.