Germany train fares

Search

Germany train fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany train fares

We leave next Tuesday for 9 days in Berlin. A week after our return we will go back to Europe, this time staying in Budapest, Vienna and Czech Republic. We intend to take two train trips while in Berlin--to Dresden and back and to Hamburg and back. On the other trip we will use the train to travel from Budapest to Vienna, and then from Vienna to Brno, CZ.

If I buy tickets in Berlin for the Hamburg, Dresden trip a few days before I intend to take them, will I be ok, i.e. able to get seats, etc? By purchasing a few days ahead will there be any savings over same day purchase?

Can I purchase tickets for the Budapest to Vienna and Vienna to Brno trips from a Berlin train station? By buying 3 to 4 weeks ahead, will I save anything?

All advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Getting seats is no problem, but book ahead at www.bahn.de (English button top right) if you want to save money with a cheap fare.

I'd just buy Budapest to Vienna at the station in budapest it's about 35 euros full price but try www.Oebb.at for a 19 euro cheap deal in advance. I doubt DB can sell this deal in Berlin but you could ask them.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Julie - are you going to see the Mucha epics? I'm jealous!!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM

We recently bought train tickets for our upcoming Germany and Czech republic trip - bought online from dbahn.de. By purchasing ahead of time, we were able to get the Saver Fares and save quite a bit of money. Example: Munich to Prague for 39 euro/person as opposed to 91 euro full fare.

As I understand it, there are only so many seats on each train available for the Saver Fare - after those are gone, you have to pay full prices. The downside of purchasing the tickets at the Saver Fare price is that you have to commit to a certain departure time. Full fare tickets are valid on any train running that route - you pay for the flexibility.

So, if your plans are set and you can commit to a particular departure, purchasing tickets online ahead of time to get the Saver Fare is a good deal - and you can purchase your seat reservations at the same time, so that is convinient. If you want or need flexibility, then I don't think you would save any money by buying the tickets ahead.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I will try to reserve the tickets I need for specific days via internet. Will probably be back with some questions before I'm done with this.

Adrienne, yes, I am trying to finally see the Slav Epic. I saw you post about it on another thread. Have you been to see it? I've always wanted to see it and when we were in Prague it was in Moravsky Krumlov. Now that I'm going to Moravsky Krumlov for the express purpose of seeing the Epic, I'm fearful that it may be on its way to Prague. I have read conflicting info about it's current situation on the internet. Hoping that the one that said it will be in MK until September and then in Prague from October 2012 until 2014 is correct. Do I need to do anything except show up with money for admission in order to get in (except on a Monday when the MK location is closed, I know) to see it? Do they require advance info, etc? Anything you can tell me about your experience with the paintings would be very much appreciated.