Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany/Switzerland/Austria trip itinerary help needed

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

We are considering a December trip to Germany as friends of ours recently moved to Nuremburg. We have maybe 10 days total (including travel from Boston). Some places we are thinking of visiting:

Nuremburg (this is definite)
Zurich
Swiss Alps
Vienna
Prague
Munich

This is obviously in the very early stages of planning so any advice as to which combination of cities, how to get around, where to go, where to stay, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should also add some more specifics...

We are a married couple in our late 20s, no children (same as our friends who moved there). We do ski/snowboard but are undecided if we'll try to incorporate this into the trip. We generally prefer scenery, wandering around smaller cities or towns to site-seeing and museum-hopping in large cities. For example, we loved exploring little neighborhoods in places like Venice and Seville. We are very open to renting apartments if it's cheaper then hotels.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Sorry, Kate, but IMO that's just too much travelling for 10 days total including travel from Boston.

Do you plan to drive to these destinations, fly or take the train?

I would concentrate on Nuremburg, Munich and surrounding areas like Berchtesgaden or even Salzburg.

I'd save Vienna, Prague and Switzerland for other trips.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

No, no, we're not planning to go to ALL of those places. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. We are just considering all of them. We're thinking maybe 2-4 cities at most depending on how far the travel between them is.

One reason we were considering Zurich is it has direct flights from Boston. With the way air travel has been lately we'd like to minimize the transfers and risk of getting stuck somewhere.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
yk

Completely agree with bettyk. You'll really have 8 days total. Spend your time around Nuremberg and Munich. Bamberg, Wurzburg are close to Nuremberg and each deserve at least one day.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Oh, OK, then that's better.

If you fly into Zurich and rent a car, then you probably would want to return the car in Switzerland to avoid the drop off charges.

I think Lufthansa has a non stop from Boston to Frankfurt. That wouldn't be too bad. You could then drive or take the train to Nuremburg and on to Munich and Berchtesgaden or Salzburg.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the advice. What can you tell me about Germany? To be honest, it's not at the top of my "to visit" list. Vienna, Prague and Switzerland are all much higher, but we'd like to see our friends in Germany. What are those cities like? (sorry that's such a broad question...)
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM

You most likely could get a direct flight into Frankfurt and take the train into Nuremburg. the train station is within the airport or get a connecting flight. I did this trip many times a few years ago. I agree that you should spend time in the area between Nuremburg, Munich and Salzburg. There are many towns north of Nuremburg which are worth seeing; Bamburg, wurzburg, Bayreuth. Or, you could concentrate near Munich and include Fussen and Berchtesgaden. do some research-both areas are beautiful and offer neat things to do
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
yk

The towns I mentioned around Nuremberg are not like any big cities. But they are "charming" for lack of a better word. I LOVE Vienna but it's more sterile than those German towns. Nuremberg has a huge Christmas Market, BTW, Bayreuth is even smaller, but if you're a Wagner fan, you need to go there to pay homage to the composer. Bamberg is listed as a UNESCO heritage site, which tells you something. It also has lots of local breweries if beer is your thing.

I'm not a big fan of Munich but many people here feel differently. With 8 days, I'd suggest:
4 days in Nuremberg (doing side trips to Bamberg, Wurzburg, +/- Bayreuth)
4 days in Munich (day trip or overnight trip to Salzburg)

You can fly into Frankfurt and then take the train to Nuremberg; then fly home from Munich.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM

yk, if it was my trip, I would do as you suggested and stay around Nuremburg and Wurzburg. We found some lovely little towns around Wurzburg that we fell in love with. We actually spent a couple of nights in Iphofen, still one of my favorite towns, and did some exploring from there.

That's the problem with Germany -- too much to see and never enough time or money to do it all!!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Kate, we have made several trips to Germany in the last few years. We have a few photo albums at www.webshots.com that might give you an idea of how lovely Germany truly is. I never tire of it's charm.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/354616542PMkPVQ