Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany or neighbouring countries? Itinerary help.

Mar 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

A friend and I arrive in Frankfurt on April 25 in the morning and have to catch a flight onwards (from Frankfurt) on the 29th evening. We have 4 - 4.5 days for our "Europe Trip"
Should we just stay in Germany or venture into Netherlands or Belgium? Can we do 2 countries?
We are both male in our 30's wanting to explore and have fun. Never been to Germany or anywhere else in Europe except for UK and Paris, France.
Any suggestions or itinerary help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mar 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM

There is more than enough to do in Germany. The amount of time you'll have is IMO too short to waste your time with long travels to neighbouring countries.
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Personally I'd look for one region I'd like to visit and instead of trying to fit in too much. From Frankfurt you could go up the Rhine to Cologne. There are some nice places in between, especially if the weather is good. Cologne has a good night life and is worth spending a night there. You can then go back to Frankfurt taking a fast train connections which drops you off at the airport (the ride takes about an hour and the trains are frequent).

Alternatively you could go to places as the Heidelberg region (about an hour from Frankfurt by train), Nuremberg (2 hours) or Munich (3 hours).

Amsterdam is about 5 hours by train and for me that'd be little too long to fit into 4,5 days as long as there isn't a special reason you want to go there. The same applies to German cities as Berlin. But if you really want to visit them, flying might be faster (and cheaper if you book ahead).
Mar 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM

I tend to agree with the other responders, but....

Strasbourg is only a little over 2 hours away. Great city, and you get your second country.
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Luxembourg isn't too far away either, but as mentioned above there is plenty to do within a few hours of Frankfurt. The suggestions above are great ones. Nuremburg is a favorite of ours. We also enjoyed the smaller towns along the Rhine and Mosel rivers, visiting various castles and sampling wines. What are you interested in doing?

Tracy
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM

airberlin has very good prices and you can choose a number of places to fly to from Frankfurt.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/abflug...G=eng&MARKT=CA