Germany in October or December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering Munich/Bavaria for an upcoming trip. For those who have been, would the last week of October, or the week before Xmas be a more desirable time to visit? We have found great airfare at either time. It seems to me that the days leading up to Xmas would be quite magical, but is snow a sure thing? My daughter would be delighted to see Neuschwanstein covered in snow. On the other hand, are there still leaves on the trees at the end of October?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Snow is a very unsure thing in December. With 80% probability (more than 80% in Munich, perhaps a bit less in Neuschwanstein) you won't have any. Last year even the ski resorts high up in the Alps got hardly any snow till mid January. How this winter is going to be is impossible to predict.

In the last week of October there will still be *some* autumn leaves left on the trees, but how they look depends on the weather, which is, again, impossible to predict now. Anyway, don't forget your umbrellas.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Well, I guess neither scenario is ideal. I'm now leaning towards Xmas time because I'd love to see the markets.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM

I have been to Germany the last two years in Dec. and am going again this year. Obviously, I find this a great time to go. The Christmas markets are very enjoyable with Christmas carols and a general holiday atmosphere. Last year was no snow and not very cold. The year before, we had snow and the drive between Munich and Saltzburg was beautiful. I highly recommend Dec. Oct. is nice too. Have a great time. CJ
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We've been to Bavaria, etc. 4 times in the last 6 years, always in Oct. We are going again this Oct. (last 2 weeks). We wouldn't travel any other time of year, although we've never been in Dec. to compare it. Although no one can predict what the weather will be like...If you're interested in what it looked like last Oct. (last 2 weeks also), some of our photo's are at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM

If you are leaning toward the Christmas markets - do it.

October, especially as late as you plan on going, does not have that much additional oomph to make up for the Bavarian Christmas spectacle.