Germany - Fuessen Questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of our stops on our upcoming trip (in July/August) is Fuessen. We are only there for (2) nights. We are staying at Suzannes B&B which I believe is within walking distance to Fuessen. We will also have a car, but would prefer not to drive anywhere other than maybe Neuschwanstein.

We plan on seeing/doing:

1. Neuschwanstein Castle. We've decided to pass on Hohenschwangau. I've been there before and my husband has no desire to see it.
2. Stroll Fuessen/Schwangau

I've heard mention of the Tegelberg Cable Car, hikes and bike rides. In the tourist booklet I received, there seem to be multiple bike routes to take. We aren't interested in a bike tour, but rather renting bikes and biking one of the routes ourselves.... possibly to Schwangau? We are also interested in the summber bobsled runs as well as hiking.

We contemplated going to Oberammergau or GP but as I've said above, we are only in the area for 2 nights so would prefer to stick to Fuessen and the immediate surrounding area .. and from what I can tell there is lots to do outdoors in that immediate surrounding area.

Any good suggestions out there for biking, hiking?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

I also forgot to ask ... is the drive from Munich to Fuessen along the Romantic Road the best/most scenic way to get there? If not, what other road do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

So I seem to be the only one responding to my posts ...

I've just come across Bleckenau Mountain Restaurant and this is what the site says about it:

"Formerly a hunting lodge of King Ludwig who is famous for his Castle Neuschwanstein, the restaurant is located in the middle of the mountains. Getting there is half the fun. Take the little green bus that starts at the tourist office or take the Tegalbergbahn to the top of the mountains and walk the rest of the way, about 2 hours. You can also take a bus to Marienbrücke (St.Mary's Bridge) and walk up the rest of the way, a good 45 minutes. Good plain food reasonably priced. A favorite hiking goal".

Has anyone tried this out?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM

A short hike in town itself goes through a gorge following a roaring river - the gap through the hills linking Fussen and Reutte, Austria - right near town is this natural wonder in a sylvan setting - very few of the mobs of tourists in Fussen's pedestrian zone seem to wander here - but there are hiking paths that go for miles i guess along the river.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Scenic, about 2 hrs:
Munich - A95 - Oberau - Ettal - ST2060 - L255 [Pianser Landesstraße] - Plansse - Ruette - Füssen
Please don't miss Lech Falls as you arrive in Füssen.
I can add more detailed directions if you like. I like this route better than A96 to B12. You get some mountains, castles, lakes, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM

norrisken - If you could be a bit more detailed, that would be great. I'll be making this drive myself in about 10 days! Od have a Michelin map BTW. Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Vegaslocal, hopefully Norrisken sees our reply as I too would be very interested in specifics (maybe it's as easy as following the map or maybe he has a 'backroad' route)
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I'm assuming that you all highly recommend reserving/purchasing tickets ahead of time for Neuschwanstein? We will be visiting the castle in the morning (when it opens) at the beg. of August????
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I'd be interested in hearing other travelers' opinion of the place Katzen is staying in Füssen. I used to hear great, great things about Suzanne's B&B but somewhere (not on Fodors) I read that things had changed. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Vegaslocal, I was reading through some old Fuessen threads and found the below post from Norrisken. It may help us out some only I believe it's a r/t to GP but we can cut in half.

Auto route map for the loop:
http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacat...20Garmisch.htm
Ettal,Linderhof,Plansee,Fussen (castles), Wieskirche,and Oberammergau.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Zeus,
Yes, I've heard some bad and some good things about staying there .. but I think in the end the good outweighed the bad. I hope. If you haven't already, click on my name and I posted a specific thread on the B&B. I can say that Suzanne has been very responsive to my emails and helpful as well.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I'll post details shortly
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM

http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm
Select Munich to Fussen
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Norrisken! Wow! I love how you created a map and listed the time and distances. Very nice.

I am going to assume that you think this route is more scenic than the 'end of the romantic road' route? Am I correct in saying that I will also need to purchase a sticker for my drive through Austria? If so, are these easy to find?

Thank you again for being so helpful!!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM

This is fantastic! Thank you soooo much! I promise a detailed trip report sometime around the first of May!

Since this route crosses into Austria, will I need to buy the Austrian "sticker"? (Can't remember what it's called.) I have heard before that the sticker is only needed if travelling on the Austrian Autobahn.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Thank you Norrisken!! I am doing this same route in less than 2 months - this really helps.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Norrisken has some great maps. A little ways off of his map be sure to go to Ettal Monastary, Schlos Linderhof, Oberammergau, and Wiess Kirche.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM

The sticker is called a Vignette I think and its about 8 Euro for a 10 day sticker.. You can get one at the first petrol station you see after crossing into Austria and at many stations on the German side of the border. The fine is pretty sizable for not having one. And yes it's only if you use the autobahn.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_965.html
I think its the most scenic and I've been both ways. Stop and have dinner at the restaurant at Linderhof. Excellent! Take a dip in the Plansee along the way. I avoid Ruette. Too crowded for me. I hope this helps. I can do other maps too. Its a bit of a hobby.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Norrisken! The only point of our trip that we will be in Austria is when we will be driving from Munich to Fuessen. It's a wonderful hobby you have. shoot, if I would have known that I would have checked on your driving experience from Cochem to Rothenburg My husband hasn't looked at the maps yet so I am probably jumping ahead of myself as far as asking about directions from point A to point B .. but I always think it's a great idea to check with people who may have traveled a better path than to rely solely on a map.
Thanks again for your help!!

Anyone else have ideas/activities that I may be missing for the Fuessen area? Thanks!