Reload this Page >

germany first timer

Search

germany first timer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 09:51 PM
henry

germany first timer

i am going to germany for 10 days the first 3 i will attend oktoberfest then i have to be in london by oct.3 to fly home any suggestions on where to go will be helpful and also any hotels in those towns thank you for your help

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:01 AM
Russ

On your way back to London, you could spend a few days in the Rhine River Gorge -- see some castles, do some day trips to nearby places of historical interest, and, if you've had enough of Munich's beer, engage in some wine-tasting. The attractive town of Boppard is having a wine festival on the weekend of Sept. 28 - 30 and is putting on a fireworks exhibition on Sat. the 29th. <BR> <BR>Here's a webpage full of accommodations for the area. <BR> <BR>www.boppard-online.de/rhein/weinfest/index.html

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:02 AM
Russ

Ooops. wrong website. here it is: <BR> <BR>www.loreleyvalley.com

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:21 AM
Paul

You might want to also consider going south from Munich to the Fussen area to see Neuschwanstien castle and the area around there, quite beautiful. Also could visit Lindenhof, traipse through Obbergammerau, etc. From there you could travel up the Romantic road and visit Rothenburg, then over to Rhine valley area. <BR> <BR>You don't say how you will get to London from Germany. How you plan to do this will have big impact on plans - if you are flying from Munich to London then you will need to allow time to get back to Munich. If you are flying from Frankfurt then the Rhine valley would be a good option. <BR> <BR>Perhaps a bit more detail from you on the travel plans (where are you flying into, how to get from Germany to London, and exact dates of travel) will assist us who want to help in giving you more concrete advice.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 07:09 AM
pat

I went for some nights in Munchen for Oktoberfest last year, and caught a flight to Berlin. I really love it. It is unfortunate that you have to be in london on Okt 3rd, because there should be a big celebration for the collapse of the Wall on that day (12 years in 2001). <BR> <BR>Anyhow, enjoy your eine mess.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:00 AM
henry

I am flying into munich on sept 24,2001 and flying out of london on oct.3,2001 i have 8 days to get to london from munich I hope this will help you

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 03:20 PM
Bob

With 8 days to use I would definitely take some of it to slip into Bavaria, very close to Munich, and visit either Garmisch or Berchtesgaden. Mayve even both. The big tourist castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are in the Garmish direction.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 01:00 AM
mast

Hi Henry! <BR>I just returned from Germany and I strongly recommend Regensburg. It is about 1 hr and 20 minutes by train from Munich and the town is really charming. Never miss walking on the stone Bridge, it has a true romantic feeling. <BR>We stay in Hotel Sorat and I think it got a great location------ask for a room facing the bridge and the old town, the view is -----no word can descript. <BR> <BR>mast

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Ann

Mast! Great to hear from you again! And to hear that you did make a stop in Regensburg and enjoyed the Sorat Hotel there... are you going to post any of your experiences so those of us who gave recommendations and answered questions know whether the rest of your trip worked out as you hoped??? Inquiring minds want to know!! For Henry, since this is your first trip, I agree with Russ that you should see the Rhine and make a stop for a winefest, but I also want you to know that you should make reservations for lodging in that area as soon as possible, because LOTS of people want to go to the winefests and rooms will be very scarce very quickly. Did you say you were driving, and are you flying out of Frankfurt to London? Or did I miss that? Give us some more clues