Reload this Page >

Germany Driving while Jetlagged

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Jill

My husband and I will be arriving on a direct flight from D.C. to Frankfurt around 7 a.m. Neither of us tend to sleep on planes so we might be tired and jetlagged. After we arrive we are planning on renting a car at the Frankfurt airport and driving to Stuttgart to stay with relatives there. My husband has never driven in Germany and is not familiar with road signs, laws, etc. I'm more familiar with the rules of the road, but I am uncomfortable driving a car with manual transmission and that's all we can seem to get over there. <BR><BR>Is the drive from Frankfurt to Stuttgart an easy one for visitors unfamiliar with driving in Germany? I'm sure people new to the autobahn do it all the time, but I'm just a little nervous about being jetlagged and driving in an unfamiliar environment.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Rex

From Frankfurt to Stuttgart is easy, yes. <BR><BR>Keep in mind that driving takes time for your body to adjust - - not just the first day when you are fully aware that you are sleep deprived. Stay in the right lane - - this is very strictly "enforced" - - not by police so much, so much as "peer pressure" - - cars zooming by in the left lane at 200+ kph. (yes, 125 mph+). The left lane should be used strictly for passing and you should get in and get out quickly. And maybe not at all the first day. No rush, right?<BR><BR>(This from an admitted leadfoot, driving in Europe).<BR><BR>I recommend driving 5-10 mph BELOW the speeds you would normally below - - on the first day - - then you can add 5-10 mph for each day, or each driving "stint".<BR><BR>And above 130 kph (each person has their own threshold), there comes a point when you really have to concentrate on driving - - and drive fast only if you enjoy concentrating on it intently. Above a certain speed, you will likely find that conversation is a bad idea, if you want to drive like this - - maybe even any sound distraction - - music on the radio, CD's etc.<BR><BR>I enjoy driving in Europe, but driving fast is serious business.<BR><BR>Best wishes - - and gute fahrt...<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Clare

Hi Jill,<BR>you have several options at hand. Firstly about the car hire - you can hire automatic cars in Germany if that's what you feel comfortable with. Just ask when you make the reservation for the automatic transmission.<BR>Secondly - it is a fairly easy drive - between 2 or 3 hours depending on how fast you drive and the current roadworks, very well signed and very direct.<BR>Thirdly you have the train option. I think the train takes around 1 hour 20 mins (they travel up to 350 kilometres an hour) and are very comfortable. The train leaves direct from Frankfurt airport station and you can either connect or catch a direct train.<BR><BR>If it were me - I would choose the train option and get the relatives to pick me up on the train platform. Quick, painless and if you can buy your tickets in the US before you leave - cheap. Once you get over your jetlag in Stuttgart - you can pick up a car there and return to any location in germany without one way fees. <BR>Enjoy Germany!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Ruth

I can understand your concerns. It is about 100 miles from Frankfurt to Stuttgart. German Autobahns are good roads and FAST, but I can't help on the specific route.<BR><BR>Have you investigated taking a train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart, and renting a car once you are there?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Don't underestimate how exhausted you may be on arrival. On the other hand, the driving time should only be about three hours. There are rest areas that will allow you to take a short nap if necessary.<BR><BR>The most difficult parts will be getting out of Frankfurt and finding your destination in Stuttgart. I suggest studying a map of both places pretty thoroughly before you leave the US, and carefully select and memorize your routes. Ideally, you might have your relatives meet you at some easily accessible location in Stuttgart, and then follow them to their house or your hotel.<BR><BR>There are websites that discuss driving in Germany, complete with descriptions of road regulations and pictures of signs. Also, there is a great book that I believe is called "German in Signs" (I can verify this if you're interested). It teaches you just enough German to read signs. There are chapters on restaurants, trains and subways, hotels, shopping, and an excellent chapter on driving.<BR><BR>My wife and I are faced with a similar dilemma. In May, we will be arriving in Frankfurt at about 7 am. We decided to spend our first night there, rather than hit the road immediately. In part, this is because we are concerned about driving after the flight (we really get wiped out on those flights). But, also, we would like to spend a little time in Frankfurt.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Therese

We've done this sort of thing, and being together helps: two people to help with unfamiliar territory and signage (which is not difficult), two people to listen to instructions at the car rental place (make sure you know how do things like open the gas tank). The trip from Franfurt to Stuttgart is an easy one on the autobahn---make sure you get explicit instructions on how to get to your relatives' house from the autobahn.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Shanna

Hi, Jill. I drove out of Frankfurt airport last fall after working two months without a day off. I was exhausted to begin with, never mind a long flight. However, I found that the autobahn part was very easy. Getting out of the airport was a little tricky in that there are two major roads just north of the airport. (I don't have my info here but will see if I can find it this week.) I missed the first one somehow and ended up on the second but both took me away from Frankfurt airport and to the road I needed. I believe it was the same direction as Stuttgart. I posted a question here last September about driving in Germany and got information from a kind Miriam (in Germany) and others. I had several maps and found a map of the airport at the airport website. I also did a mapquest and another map service to get routing information which I then re-wrote for myself in an easy to read manner. Please do get an automatic transmission and get a really good car - I had a Mercedes which was pretty pricey but that car really handled well and hugged the road at high speeds. Germans are such excellent drivers - fast doesn't mean crazy - and everyone obeyed the rules of the road so there were no surprises for this greenhorn. The roads are well marked, but don't use N/S/E/W directions. They show the names of cities from that exit. That can be confusing because you can get "there" from lots of directions, but also you need to remember the names of the towns in the direction you are going. It was altogether simple, but without a navigator, easy to get turned around once you leave the main roads. A jet-lag tip: I use Emergen-C (available at drug and health food stores) It's a packaged fizzy drink with vitamins and minerals and it really helps me overcome the tiredness at the end of a trip. Ask the flight attendant for a glass of water to mix the drink at breakfast. Then after you sign for the car but before you actually get into it, stop at an airport restaurant, relax, have a cup of coffee, some protein, and another emergen-C. I was very nervous about driving (my first time in Europe) but there are many rest stops on the autobahn, so take it slow and easy. Just think how victorious you'll feel afterwards! Just do your homework and you'll have a fine time driving.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:14 AM
sam

Jill, <BR><BR>I've done this trip alone on several occasions. it's very doable - especially with two people. Pay attention to the signs when you first leave the airport - it can be a bit confusing (I've done multiple laps around the perimeter more than once) My suggestion (given to me a few years ago by a 'pro') Don't rush to get down there. Get on the road, but then stop at the first rest stop. Go in, sit down, have a bite to eat, a coffee and lots of water and weash your face. It makes all the difference in the world. The trip will be much less exhausting. It will be at least 9am local time before you leave the airport, so if it's a week day, under normal circumstances, you should miss most of the traffic (stau)<BR><BR>You should be able to pick up the Amrerican Forces Network on the radio for most of your trip. Hearing the traffic reports in English is much easier than in german.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Jill

Thanks to everyone who replied. You all gave great suggestions. I'll definitely look into the train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart. Also will look into the "Germany in Signs" book - I believe that would be very helpful. And I think I just might have to check out the Emergen-C that Shanna recommended. <BR><BR>I would like to hear more from those of you who have rented automatic transmission cars in Germany. I've looked at websites for Sixt, Europcar, and AutoEurope. I believe I saw one automatic car and they couldn't guarantee we'd get it. All of the American national car rental agencies (i.e. Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo) don't seem to want to rent to anyone under 25 (we are 24), or they charge huge fees, so those are out. Any tips or recommendations?<BR><BR>And I will be sure to tune into AFN, which I fondly remember from my days as a military brat in Germany.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Andre

Jill,<BR><BR>You shouldn't have any problem getting an automatic at Frankfurt airport. Finding one at a city center agency Stuttgart may be difficult, but imagine one would be available at Stuttgart airport.<BR><BR>I have always fared well with Europcar (I rented an automatic at Frankfurt airport from them a few years ago). They definitely rent to 24 year-olds and since they're owned by VW, they tend to have newer and nicer cars than the others (in my experience at least).<BR><BR>If you speak some german, you're best off booking on their national site at www.europcar.de<BR>They have an easter special on the Mercedes A-Class at 56 EUR per day all in...<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Andre

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:31 AM
jahoulih

There's a direct train leaving Frankfurt Airport at 9:20 and arriving in Stuttgart at 10:33. It's on the expensive side--45.20 Euros a person--but if that's not an issue I'd certainly take the train. See www.bahn.de for schedules and fares.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Jill

Andre (or anyone else),<BR>So the consensus is that I should be able to get an automatic rental at the Frankfurt airport? I was planning on renting the car online through Europcar, Sixt, etc. Europcar seems to have the best deals currently, but they do not give any automatic cars as an "option" when you book online. Should I just rent a manual car online, and then ask for an automatic when we arrive in Frankfurt?<BR><BR>My relatives offered to e-mail me detailed directions from the airport to their house, so I think maybe we will just drive. (Although I love the train system in Germany.) My husband loves to drive and I think he wouldn't want to pass up the challenge of the Autobahn on his first day there. I do speak German fluently so I think that will be a big help to us also.<BR><BR>I just want to say thank you so much to everyone who is helping me out! You are doing an excellent job of easing my anxiety.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:22 PM
sam

I tried to email you directly, but it was returned - if you'd like more info - email me at [email protected] - I'm hoping if I bury the address in a post, the spammers won't get it.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:23 PM

topping<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:07 PM
mj

Jill,<BR>As one who does not sleep on a flight and has faced several long drives after arriving in various German cities, my best advice is to determine, upon your arrival, if you or your husband are up to the drive - with the understanding that you'll probably arrive in mid-morning when traffic is not too bad. <BR><BR>Most likely, you'll be able to do 2-4 hours of driving before your inner self says enough is enough.<BR><BR>Re: Rental of an automatic.<BR>I always rent a standard but, I've been given an automatic without even asking and at no extra charge. If you can not/won't drive a manual, Germany's autobahns are not the place to learn. But if you feel "lucky", go w/the standard and ask for an automatic when you get to the airport. Chances are the rental company will be more than happy to get "the dog" out on the road. Remember that most European cars are 4 cylinder w/manual transmission and that makes them quicker than a comparable automatic.<BR><BR>Re: Driving in Germany -<BR>Several rules,already mentioned by others ,are spot on. Only things I'll add are:<BR><BR>- Driving in DE (and most of Europe) is serious. Anyone pulling out in the passing (left) lane has the right of way over oncoming traffic...and drivers, especially those in trucks, excerise that right liberally.<BR><BR>- 95% of European drivers are excellent which makes the bad drivers stick out more, in other words, they're easy to spot.<BR><BR>- everyone drives pretty fast and a lot drive really fast. Stick in the right lane until you get the feel of the traffic.<BR>Drive from Frankfurt to Stuttgart:<BR>You're gonna' love it. Lots of "old stuff", aka castles/towns, etc.<BR><BR>Bottom line:<BR>If you feel up to driving, do so. If not, don't! Wait until you're rested and set off for a great adventure.<BR><BR>Guten fahrt,<BR>mj

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:59 PM
jayvee

jill-- try www.gemut.com for a rental car

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM
victor

Last oct we visited germany for the first time. After 11hr flight from singapore, we picked the car & drove to Werthiem. I think it is not difficult. Go to the various sites that gave you directions to your destination from the airport & print out it. We used this and there were no problems with directions. <BR>1 thing to take note is about REX posting. What he is saying is correct. They zoom pass you and within a minute they disapper from your views. Probably you want to drive on the slowest late which is the extreme right lne. <BR>Trust me, in Singapore we use right hand drive & I did not face any problems.<BR><BR>You can read about our trip at www.vgpma.com/travel/

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Clare

Re: automatic rental car. Some companies have them at some locations, others not. I have had good luck at frankfurt airport with Avis and Hertz regarding pre-booking Automatic cars.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Jill,<BR><BR>The book that explains German signs is called "Signposts German," not "Germany in Signs." Sorry for the confusion. The authors are Edith Baer and Margaret Wightman, and the publisher is Cambridge University Press.<BR><BR>In addition to an extensive chapter on driving, it has chapters on sightseeing, medical emergencies, shopping, banks and post offices, and, the all important, "looking for a loo."<BR><BR>The driving chapter is not limited to the obvious signs (road regulations, etc.), but also discusses gasoline stations and parking. Examples include how to tell that a gas pump is lead free, how to determine when and where it is OK to park, and how to interprete signs that indicate how to pay parking fees at automatic ticket dispensers.<BR><BR>They also offer a "Signposts France" and "Signposts Spain."<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:29 AM
topper

top of the speedometer<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -