Germany at Thanksgiving

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Germany at Thanksgiving

My family has booked a fight into Munich out of Frankfurt. We are interested in the mountains So. of Munich in Austria. Then we would like to see some wonderful towns going North possibly on the Romanantic road The children are between 11-21.
We would love to make the most of a week but I have been known to overbook us too. We love to stay in neat places. If it is worht the money we will spend for the experience.
Please let us know your suggestions and I will start booking.
Thank you again. I love this site.!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:14 PM

When will you be going? A lot of activities in the mountains are weather related.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

We will be going over Thanksgiving week.
Thanks again
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Super website for all things Bavarian: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM

You shouldn't need to spend a fortune. With several kids, I think you'd be wise to rent a house or apartment for a few days, maybe 3 days in Mittenwald or Garmisch, and 3-4 in Central Franconia, a good area to use as a base for exploring the Romantic Road, Bamberg, Nuremberg, etc.

Here's a list of places for rent in Franconia; we stayed in Neustadt/Aisch this summer, which worked out great (as you can see, they're reasonably priced):

http://www.accommodation.de/List.asp...tral+Franconia

You can use the homepage to search for places in the Alps.

Russ
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:05 PM

Just returned from working in Germany (Ansbach area)...and I know a bit about Bavaria and the places between Munich and Frankfort. We have also traveled Europe quite a bit with our 2 kids. Drop me an email with questions if you'd like [email protected]

Garmish is nice. When are you going? Summer can be crowded, esp August...and then crowded again for skiing. Bertesgarten is neat. Geez, there are so many places.
If you go to Rothenburg, do the Night watchman's tour. I think it is 8pm. Kids will love it, as will you.
About 10 miles East of Rothenburg is a castle that has a great view, nice rooms and good food. It is called Burg Colmberg. Easy to find.

It sounds hokey at times, but I find the Rick Steves books very handy.
EK
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM

Check out Karen Brown's book on GERMAN INNS AND ITINERARIES. We have used her books all over Europe and find the small places she recommends are what we are looking for.

I would see Berchtesgaden and Garmisch while you are in this area. Great spots to explore.