Germany and Austria trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight back to the states has been delayed so I thought I may as well report back to you all on our trip. First, thank you fodorites for your travel advice! Oftentimes, it's better than any guidebook I come across.

We landed in Frankfurt, Germany and immediately bought our train tickets to boppard (you buy them to Mainz and then get another ticket you can use for the Rhine Valley). We stayed at the lovely Bellvue hotel (I know I'm going to butcher the spelling of places but I'm doing this on my iPhone). I highly recommend this hotel - the service, location and overall stay was superb. We did the chairlift in boppard, visited the Marksburg castle and Rhinefel Castle and walked around Boppard, St. Goar and Bacharach. We traveled a lot using the train- didn't get a chance to go on a boat but that was fine with us. It was a nice quiet stressfree intro to Germany. We then rented a car from enterprise in Mainz (it was a last minute decision and a good one). The Enterprise office was superb- the rep got us an automatic car and waited for us even though their office had officially closed. We drove along the Romantic Road, stopping along the way.

Our first stop was to tour the lovely residence place in Wurzburg. Then we drove on to Rotenburg ob Der tier where we stayed for the night. We wandered all around town and even caught the infamous night watchman (not sure I would've paid for a tour with him though). We stayed at the marks romantik hotel which although we got a room in the attic was still quite lovely. The next day we drove all the way to fussen and (hadn't planned it) toured the two castles (Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle) and wandered around the area. I was glad to have done this with the car because we were able to take a very scenic drive around mountains and hills in Bavaria. After a long day, we ended up in Munich.

Munich was our least favorite part of our trip. We stayed 4 nights and in hindsight I wouldn't spend more than 2. We wandered around the city, did some shopping, visited the science museum, and the Nazi documentation center (didn't realize how long this would take us). We stayed at the Sheraton.

From Munich, we took the train to Salzburg. Salzburg was our favorite part of our trip. Oops time to go. Will finish later
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on for the ride
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 06:27 AM

I love this area of Europe. Waiting to hear the rest.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 08:31 AM

Signing in to join your TR... keep it coming!
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 06:58 AM

I am disappointed to hear that Munich was your least favorite part of your trip. I presently have have 5 nights on the tentative itinerary for our Aug/Sept '16 trip. However, I am using it somewhat as a base and planning a day trip to Salzburg and another TBD train trip, perhaps Innsbruck.

Looking forward to hearing more!!
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 09:52 AM

foolforfrance, we were just in Munich for 3 nights and could have stayed longer, especially if we were using it as a base for other day trips as you are. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there. We enjoyed seeing the Residence and Treasury... but we didn't get out to Nymphenburg, so, next time... maybe see an opera, too.

Tschüss!
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Since returning home, we have been so busy I forgot to finish my report, so sorry!

Fool, not sure if u already left but if you are using Munich for a base (and going to Salzburg) then that's fine. However, we LOVED Salzburg and its surrounding lake districts. I highly recommend you take away from Munich to add to Salzburg.

Salzburg is one place I will certainly plan to visit again. We were so surprised at how beautiful it and its surrounding area was. It takes your breath away and that's with several days of rain! We stayed 4 days at the Sheraton right next to Marabel Gardens (again plz excuse my spelling and I know I've since forgotten exact names but I'm committed to finishing this report The Sheraton (if u can afford it was stunning - everything from its location to their service was excellent). Salzburg is very walkable since it's quite small. We did the Rick Steve's suggested walks and of course just walked wherever we felt like it. We used the bus a few times too and it's so easy to use. We loved hiking up the steep hill and then going down the funicular from the fortress that overlooks the town (didn't care that much for the fortress itself). We walked everywhere, saw everything and attended a Mozart show next to the gardens. Wow I have forgotten names so I'm going to pause here and get my guidebook will be back. Salzburg is A++!
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg is compact and easy to maneuver around. The Mirabell Gardens are beautiful. We also visited the Hellbrunn Palace (the Palace itself can barely be called a Palace) the trick fountain tour is the real reason to visit and the garden is peaceful.

We rented a car for the day and went to Hallstatt. We made several stops along the way. The road is paved with mountains and lakes that green/blue. Hallstatt is drop dead gorgious. Do yourself a favor and rent a car for this day trip. Do NOT attempt by public transportation. We ate a delicious dinner in Hallstatt (a place recommended by Rick Steve's guidebook). I would've loved to have spent more time in this area (Jenner mountain cable cars looked fun) and there are plenty of outdoor things to do.

We did another day trip to Berchtesgarden without a car. We took the bus from Salzburg (near the train station). It was easy enough but things seemed to close way too early for my slow poke family. I really wish we had kept the car for another day. Yes, you can do this day trip by public transportation but I definitely do recommend a car. We explored this area but we didn't have time for the boat tour which is what I had planned to do. Another time in fact, I would love to stay in this area, so beautiful and peaceful. I've never seen such natural beauty!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 12:01 PM

The drive from Salzburg to Hallstatt is beautiful, isn't it! We were just there in June. Lovely area. I agree about using a private car for this area so you can take your own pace and see what you want.

Please keep this coming.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 12:28 PM

foolforfrance writes, "I presently have have 5 nights on the tentative itinerary for our Aug/Sept '16 trip. However, I am using it somewhat as a base and planning a day trip to Salzburg and another TBD train trip, perhaps Innsbruck."

I'll be interested to hear how foolforfrance's day trips went. If others are considering similar day trips, they should be sure to check the time involved. These are pretty long day trips, 3.5-4 hours minimum by train round trip. You probably will find it rushed to see Salzburg on a day trip. All you get out of it is sleeping in Munich again...

Salzburg/Berchtesgaden merits 3 nights for a relaxed visit IMO. Public transport is no problem here for local trips. In fact, it's FREE if you stay in Berchtesgaden, where a visitors card is issued to all overnight guests - the card isn't valid for the whole trip to Salzburg but almost:
http://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/free-of-charge-with-bus
Map of destinations you can travel to with the visitors card:
http://www.berchtesgaden.de/download.php?artid={8a542747-2cc8-c01c-a3f1-cd1d9caf2e6a}