German Sausage Question/Clarification?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my husband and I were in Germany last summer we had a sausage called a Rotbratwurst or Rostbratwurst. It was white and long and slender. We had it in Munich at the outdoor market (from a stand) and then again in Fussen along the main pedestrian area. I live in Northern Virginia and we have a local German store/butcher that carries the nuremberger sausages, which are the small, white slender sausages, but I can't seem to find the long, slender white ones that I had while in Munich and Fussen. I absolutely loved them on a roll with mustard!

Anyone have any idea where they can be found in the states? I unfortunately am writing this from my office so I don't have my notes from the trip with me that may help with the exact place or name of things. I will look tonight and post later if I find any information that may be a bit more helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Katzen: My wife and I discovered the same brats as you and always make a point of stopping when in Munich. The closest I've found is Usingers brats from Milwaukee, but I am not sure you can get them as skinny as Munich's. we were just in Munich a couple of weeks back and we had brats for breakfast before leaving for Zurich.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Richardsonsnm, I will try that site. I thought for sure Schaller & Weber would sell them, but I didn't see them on their site. Those sausages really are wonderful!!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:52 AM

katzen, you said thank you for that site. I do not see. please, tell me because i am having the same cravings.
I went to Germany when I was 21 and those -wursts with a mustard were awesome!
Last year we went to Germany and we bought from a butcher and it was not the same.
However I am buying Hillshire Farm veal white links that are resembling German's and aslo mustard is the key.
We have a farm next to us where Germans live and sell food in a small store, we buy from them but it is still NOT the same.
Please, share site if you have one.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I googled:
There were grilled sausages sold on a street from movable cart with a small grill located next to New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie) at Potsdamer Straße. The vendor could speak fluently... German. The sausages were large and served in a bun with mustard added. If you don't like mustard say it on time . It was Berlin's and better version of hot-dog. Additionally there were two kinds of sausages to choose: normal (darker) and white ("weiß" - typical German and... not my favourite). The dish was called in typical German way - just one long word: "Rostbratwurst" (grill - bread - sausage, right? I am not sure).

Rostbratwurst for 1.50 € (with darker sausage) tasted good . Just in case... well done is "gut gemacht" in German language.

So those are actually a bratwursts that we buy from our market but it tasted better in Germany!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi SorritaBluez, the web site for Usingers is: www.usinger.com and another site that may be helpful to you is German Deli: www.germandeli.com.

Schaller & Weber has great meats as well .. in fact, our local German stores gets his meat from them. Their site is:
www.schallerweber.com

Hope this helps!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I believe Rostbratwurst simply means
grilled cooked sausage because rost is grill, brat is to cook and of course wurst is sausage. I have had these many times in Germany too.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

hardwater, yes, I that is what I was thinking too .. but I would love to know what type of sausage they were... I haven't seen any of the long, slender white. Only the short and/or thick weisswurst.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM

THANKS!!!

He wrote: "Rostbratwurst" (grill - bread - sausage, right? I am not sure).
I do not think he is completely on money because Knockwurst and Bratwurst are 2 different kind of sausages with no bread. I think Roast is correct but there is no mentioning of bread.
Just 'wurst' a sausage and 'Brat' or 'Knock' a type
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM

To clarify: Rostbratwurst. "Rost" means "grill", so Rostbratwurst usually is charcoal grilled sausage (and not pan-seared sausage).

The form of the sausage (long or short, thick or thin) can vary, even with the same filling. Thin sausages have more surface compared to filling and therefore can take more of the charcoal taste. However, the risk to dry and shrink is also higher.

The taste of the filling depends on the type of meat (usually pork, but sometimes beef or poultry), the amount of fat (not too much), the structure (coursely or finely minced meat - a middle grade is best) and the seasoning. Nürnberger sausages contain lots of herbs and spices.

The process of grilling is also important. It is best if you grill the sausages not just from two but from four sides so they get golden brown on the whole surface. Some dip the sausages into brown beer before grilling.

You want to make your own Bratwurst? Try this recipe:

1 pound shoulder of pork
1 pound belly of pork
salt, pepper, nutmeg, marjoram, thyme, oregano, caraway (to taste), garlic, ascorbic acid, pork bowels.

Mince meat (using a mincer, meat must be ice-cold) and mix ingredients. Fill into bowels and trim. Ready to grill.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM

I don't know if they have specific name attached to them. The weisswurst, while it means white sausage,is made from veal with parsely primarily.
It is a wurst the Germans like to eat for breakfast. Our relatives in Bavaria have told us that and fed us the weisswurst for "Bavarian breakfast".
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks traveller1959, that does make complete sense. I've only ever pan-seared my German sausages. I will have to try chargrilling them next time around! Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM

We are usually visit the farm before Thanksgiving and Nürnberger sausages ARE great! I haven't tried those in Germany so I think those are good.

Please, more abount mustard kind if you would.
And also saurkraut - what is the best way to cook it?

My recipy is:
Brown wursts (can not learn to brown 4 sides)on grill or pan.
Saurkraut goes into pan after little rinsing with fried onions and brown sugar. Cooks for about 30 min and then wursts are added with beer and it can sit there until you ready to eat it. The longer the better.
Boy, I am getting hungry here
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:28 AM

katzen - Another place to look is Bavaria Sauasge located in Madison, WI. Stepping into their store is like stepping into Bavaria. I did a quick search of their site and it said they carry "Rostbratwurst" There web site is: http://www.bavariasausage.com/
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Sauerkraut:

There are two ways to cook sauerkraut.

1) Brown onions in oil, add bacon cubes, when browned, add some sugar and let it caramelize. Stir in sauerkraut and cook.

2) Cook sauerkraut in a generous serving of sparkling wine (half a bottle or so). Add pineapple cubes. Add some wine just before serving.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

cmb048, yes, that is them!!! Thank you very much. I had been on that web site before looking for something else but didn't even think to check out their sausages. Thanks again!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM

You're welcome! I love going to their shop just for the smells...but I always end up buying something.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM

OK, now we need to find a right mustard. I hope they ship to PA.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM

WOW! sauerkraut in a generous serving of sparkling wine ???
Like shampagne? I have tot try it...only wine, right?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Katzen, have you tried Mozart's in D.C. It's a great German deli/restaurant with a good selection of sausages. I'm not sure that they have what you're looking for, but it's worth a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -