German railroad experience

Sep 29th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Barbara B

German railroad experience

We are two seniors looking for a cheap fare from Frankfurt to Berlin. The 2nd class train fares we've been quoted on the website for German rail are very high. Anyone out there with some experience we can take advantage of?

Sep 29th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Donna

Last year I took the ICE train from Frankfurt to Berlin and got a reduced rate for travel after 7:00pm. I believe it was half of the regular rate.

Donna

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Russ

The regular fare from Frankfurt to Berlin is 106 Euros each, according to the DB website (www.bahn.de) for the 4 hour ride on the fast trains.

The "Good Evening Ticket" Donna mentions is a good deal, but you'll get into Berlin pretty late; you can read about it and other deals here:

http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/true...tional.shtml#1

If you'll be travelling on Sat or Sun and have another 4 hours to spend on the train to Berlin, you can save yourselves nearly 200 Euros pfff the regular price (wow!) by getting a "Happy Weekend" ticket and riding the slower trains - this ticket is only 21 Euros (it might have gone up a few by now) and is good for up to 5 people travelling together. You'll ride the less schnazzy Regional Express trains and make 3 changes of train, but it's quite a deal. You can read about it at the webpage posted above. Make sure you get a printed itinerary from the DB website or your station in Frankfurt, with the changes of train noted, if you decide on this option.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Marilyn

Last time I looked into this I decided to fly. Didn't cost THAT much and didn't lose a whole day on the train.

Oct 5th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Fly

http://www.germania-flug.de/

Try this, they are a no-frills airline offering all seats for EUR99 one way.
Not sure how you can book from the US, and I believe the site is only in German.

Oct 5th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Andre

Barbara,

- Flying with Germania for EUR 99.- is a good option, although it will end up costing you a little more (extra cab fare to the airport). You should be able to book through their call center:
011 49 1805-107 207
You might also check if Lufthansa is matching Germania's fare (though I doubt it).

- If you speak some German, you might also want to check out the "surf & rail" train fares at the Deutsche Bahn web site:
www.bahn.de
Then click on "surf and rail". The fare is EUR 77 round trip per person (incl. seat reservation) and must be booked on the web between 40 and 7 days before departure. Bookings cannot be changed or refunded and the "Sunday rule" applies for the return trip (though this is not relevant if you're only travelling one way - just enter an imaginary return date).

Hope this helps,
Andre