Berlin to Frankfurt?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Lian

Berlin to Frankfurt?

Hi all,

Any suggestions as to the cheapest method of getting from Berlin to Frankfurt? The german rail website (www.bahn.de) has me stumped and only quotes the InterCityExpress prices at a whooping 102 Euros?

Really would like to hear from anyone with good suggestions on this.

Thanks!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:22 PM
jahoulih

There are Interregio trains leaving at 5:55 and every two hours through 15:55 from Berlin Zoo. They take 6 hours to Frankfurt, and cost 79.2 Euros. There's also an overnight train at 90.2 Euros for a couchette.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Andre

Lian, do you speak german? If you do, click on the "surf&rail" link on the bahn.de homepage. This offers a round trip fare Berlin to Frankfurt on the ICE for 77 euros including seat reservation and you can print out the ticket at home! 7 day advance purchase is required.

How many of you are travelling together? The "Sparpreis" and "Supersparpreis" tickets are quite reasonable when 2 or more travel together. Infos in english at:
http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/true/pv2_offers_national.shtml

By the way, less than 100 USD for a standard flexible ticket on a 4-hr train ride clear across Germany (over 300 miles) is a pretty good deal IMO...

Gute Reise
Andre

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Lian

Thank you Jahoulih & Andre.

Unfortunately I don't speak german (yet!). The site says that there's a german rail office in the UK so prolly we'll check it out.

Are any of the regional tickets valid for my planned one way trip?

Forgive me, but I'm prolly stuck in the cheap eastern europe state of mind when I saw the standard list prices of the german rail.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Russ

You can do this route with up to 4 friends for a total of 28 Euros if you can travel on Sat or Sun and have more time (8.5 hrs.) to ride the Regional Express trains. You'll have to change trains 3 times, but even if there are only 2 of you, 14 Euros isn't a bad price!

Buy a "Schönes Wochenende" ticket and leave at either 8:00 or 10:00 am - you can find this schedule at the BAHN website by stipulating "local traffic only".

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Andre

You're welcome, Lian!

No, the regional tix won't work for such a long journey.

Sorry to hear that you don't speak german! If you can't get the surf&rail and/or you're feeling lucky, you can try to get a "Guten-Abend-Ticket" (good evening ticket). It costs only EUR 36 Mo-Fri and EUR 44 Sat-Sun and allows unlimited travel after 7 pm (2 pm on saturdays)!!

The catch? It's only sold locally (within 30 km of departure station) and seats are of course limited. That said, you don't have much to lose by waiting till you get to Berlin if you can't get the surf&rail in advance.

Andre

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Guten

Definitely go with the Guten-Abend-Ticket. It's the cheapest alternative, and I think you can buy it anywhere, and start using it at 7PM - you can go as far as you can get by 2AM. The only catch is that it is limited to D, RE or anything slower than an IR train. But I think Berlin-Frankfurt should be doable.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Rex

<<By the way, less than 100 USD for a standard flexible ticket on a 4-hr train ride clear across Germany (over 300 miles) is a pretty good deal IMO...>>

You can't count - - with all your fingers and all your toes - - the number of routes, FLYING, in the US are $500 or more for a 300 mile "hop".

There is no free mittagessen!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Andre

Lian,

The posting by "Guten [email protected]" is WRONG!

My original post stating that you can use the Guten-Abend-Ticket for any train is basically correct - it just costs 6 Euros extra for the ICE. OK, overnight trains and the luxury Metropolitan service aren't included, but the ICEs from Berlin to Frankfurt most certainly are.

Again, as mentioned the catch is that only a limited number of seats on each train are sold at this fare. Also, ticket can only be refunded with a 15 Euro handling fee, no changes allowed.

By the way, it's the "Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket" that only works on local trains - as Russ mentions it's only valid on weekends and the trip would take 8.5 hrs: ridiculous!

Gute Reise
Andre

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Lian

Dear All,

Thank you for all your invaluable inputs! We've decided to risk the 8hr, 4 train connection journey from Berlin to Frankfurt in order to save as much of our precious euros as possible. Thats the Happy Weekend ticket for only 28 Euros!

Guten-Abend Tickets sound good but availability on the spot is pretty risky considering its the loveparade weekend in Berlin.

Cheers!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:12 AM
paula

why dont You try a ride at the "Mitfahrzentrale"? Berlin to Frankfurt is very frequented, and the price is very cheap, I guess You can make it for about 20 US $. You will find a few "Mitfahrzentrale" easyly in the yellow pages.

Gute Reise
paula