*German Itinerary Help*

Search

*German Itinerary Help*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*German Itinerary Help*

Please offer any suggestions regarding which towns, hotels, sights you would recommend. <BR>Left a couple of days slack as I am sure we will want to stay extra somewhere. <BR><BR>Day: Saturday<BR>Overnight: Rudesheim, Boppard, St. Goar, or Bacharach<BR>Transportation: Arrive in Frankfurt, Drive to Rhine Valley<BR>Sights: Quick Site-seeing<BR><BR>Day: Sunday<BR>Overnight: Rudesheim, Boppard, St. Goar, or Bacharach<BR>Transportation: Drive around Rhine Valley<BR>Sights: Castle Reichenstein, Rheinstein, Schonburg, Rheinfels<BR><BR>Day: Monday<BR>Overnight: Zell or Beilstein<BR>Transportation: Drive around Mosel Valley<BR>Sights: Burg Eltz, Cochem<BR><BR>Day: Tuesday<BR>Overnight: Zell or Beilstein<BR>Transportation: Drive around Mosel Valley<BR>Sights: Treir, Bernkastel- Kues<BR><BR>Day: Wednesday<BR>Overnight: Baden-Baden <BR>Transportation: Drive from Mosel <BR>Sights: Bath<BR><BR>Day: Thursday<BR>Overnight: Calw<BR>Transportation: Drive from Baden-Baden<BR>Sights: Herman Hesse, Shopping <BR><BR>Day: Friday <BR>Overnight: South of Ulm? <BR>Transportation: Rubberneck Drive from Calw to Ulm <BR>Sights: Maulbronn <BR><BR>Day: Saturday <BR>Overnight: Landsberg<BR>Transportation: Drive Romantic Road <BR>Sights: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau<BR><BR>Day: Sunday<BR>Overnight: Landsberg<BR>Transportation: Drive in to Munich <BR>Sights: Shopping <BR><BR>Day: Monday<BR>Overnight: Donauworth or Nordlingen<BR>Transportation: Drive up Romantic Road from Landsberg<BR>Sights: Villages of Road<BR><BR>Day: Tuesday<BR>Overnight: Rothenburg<BR>Transportation: Drive up RR from Nordlingen<BR>Sights: Spend day in Dinklebuhl and evening in Rothenburg<BR><BR>Day: Wednesday<BR>Overnight: Rothenburg<BR>Transportation: Drive up to Wurzberg<BR>Sights: Residence, Schloss Veitshochheim<BR><BR>Day: Thursday<BR>Overnight: Mosbach<BR>Transportation: Drive across Castle Road<BR>Sights: Castles<BR><BR>Day: Friday<BR>Overnight: Heidelberg<BR>Transportation: Drive remaining Castle Road<BR>Sights: Castles<BR><BR>Day: Saturday<BR>Overnight: <BR>Transportation: <BR>Sights: <BR><BR>Day: Sunday<BR>Overnight: <BR>Transportation: <BR>Sights: <BR><BR>Day: Monday <BR>Overnight: None <BR>Transportation: Flight out of Frankfurt <BR>Sights: <BR><BR>Thank You In Advance
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM

We stayed in Beilstein for 3 nights last June and loved it. We would return in a heartbeat. BUT if you require nightlife beyond quiet walks, wine and conversation, and watching the river traffic go by, it might not be for you. As a good point for Mosel day trips and relaxing afterwards, it was ideal.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:08 AM
jmw

Hi. You've mentioned some great places and a few I've never thought about. I've only a couple of suggestions: Have you thought about combining your Baden Baden/Calw/Ulm to stay in one place for several nights? Or combining Nordlingen and Rothenburg? And unless your itinerary is set in stone, maybe you'd like to consider Lindau or Meersburg on Bodensee and Mittenwald? I see that they are farther south than your route, but I'd not leave them out. Of course it depends upon your priorities, so at the very least this response will top your post and you're bound to receive lots of comments soon.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:38 AM

<BR>Rhine/Mosel Valleys: WHERE TO STAY? Best scenery and atmosphere: St. Goar; Boppard is a little larger and would provide more dining/lodging options. SIGHTS? Rheinstein is neat, but fairly small and takes only a few minutest to tour. Reichenstein and Schoenburg are hotel operations, though Reichenstein may have a room or 2 open to the public. Rheinfels is pretty much rubble, but interesting rubble. Glaringly absent from your list of Rhine castles in Marksburg - in Braubach, north of St. Goarshausen (ferry across from Boppard or St. Goar and drive north.) It's the best-preserved original castle on the Rhine and tours take about 45 minutes. In Boppard, don't miss the chairlift to the Vierseenblick lookout (great spot for a cold beer) or the Roman ruins. GETTING AROUND? I would highly recommend doing as the German visitors do here and getting out of your car, especially on the Mosel, for at least half a day. The area around Zell is perfect for biking from town to town along the paved path that follows the river; many hotels and inns rent bikes out cheaply. From nearby Alf, you can hike up to &quot;Marienburg&quot; or to another castle - Burg Arras - on well-marked paths. From Bullay, you can walk up to &quot;Uncle Tom's Huette&quot; to do some wine tasting. There are dozens of possibilities that will get you off the asphalt for a while.<BR><BR>&quot;South of Ulm&quot;: Memmingen is an interesting old walled town I visited recently and it's a quick shot from there by car to Ottobeuren (basilica), to Oberstdorf (mountain village in the Alps) or to Lindau on Lake Constance; any of these make for great daytrips
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! Some great ideas.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Knulp, here are two excellent resources for your trip: 1) www.bavariaben.com 2) type Wes into the text search box at the top of the page, scroll down and highlight Germany in the box to the right and press find. Scroll through the past messages that come up to find the best info there is on German itineraries. (How sad that the post telling us of Wes' death is running, at this point, just below yours. The knowledge of Germany that he shared with us is like gold)<BR><BR>Just a couple of comments on your itinerary. You may want to stay several nights in one location as jmw suggested. Moving each night or so can get pretty old, IMHO. If you've never been to Munich, consider adding some time there. It looks like you have only planned one short day there and you may wish you had planned more time. Our family loves castles too, but after seeing several, they all begin to look alike.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I have many happy memories of our trip to Germany. Liked the Rhine, but loved the Mosel! We stayed in Brehm and had a beautiful first night sipping local wine on a balcony overlooking the Mosel and vinyards. Got lost in Trier, but did see some sights. We enjoyed a sidetrip into Luxemburg...viewed the American (Patton's grave) and German cemeteries, great contrast. Rothemburg was another varorite...take the night watchman tour. Rick Steves' book has a great castle tour route to take. Don't miss the Wieskirche. One of our favorite areas was Schleswig-Holstein...next trip don't miss the north! Have fun.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Knulp - I think you have done a wonderful job in planning an itenerary. How I envy you! You are obviously more intune with smaller towns, as am I, so bypassing Munich might be your preference. I would second the recommendations about the first night in Boppard, St. Goar or Bacharach. They are more central on the Rhine than Rudesheim which is on the south end of the gorge. Must sees have already been mentioned. Both Zell and Beilstein are tiny little villages and perfect for a quiet interlude, but you might find more to see and do in Cochem. I am not familiar with Calw, but you must be a Herman Hesse fan and it looks like a delightful town on it's website. On your drive towards Ulm I would take the backroads south of Stuttgart passing through all the little &quot;--ingen&quot; villages in Swabia - of which Tubingen is a must see. I agree Memmingen would be a wonderful stopping point, but do not miss Ulm! I am also unfamiliar with Landsberg, But it looks like an idyllic town and an excellent base on the RR. Don't miss the Wieskirche on your trip toward the castles - it is spectacular. I would chose Nordlingen over Donauworth as it is my favorite town on the RR. I am also unfamiliar with Mosbach. To end my trip I would drive directly to FRA from Heidelberg and disperse your 2 &quot;free&quot; days throughout your itinerary. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

You guys are incredible! The juices are flowing now. Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM

If you decide to stay in St Goar be sure to eat at Zum Goldenen Lowen. It was one of the best dining experiences we had in Germany
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Knulp: We just got back two weeks ago from a week in Germany. Stayed in Beilstein at Gute Quelle, great room and the owner is from Ireland and a delight! We took the walk through town following Rick Steve's guide, very pleasant. Trier can easily take a day.<BR>I would spend at least 2 days in Munich, and I am not much of a &quot;big city&quot; person, but I adored Munich! Don't miss the Augustiner Keller biergarten, near the Marienplatz.<BR>And definitely do not miss the Night Watchman's tour in Rothenburg! And take the time to have a drink after in Zur Holl. Burg Eltz was one of our favorite castles in all of Europe.<BR>Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:31 PM

question: why drive both up and down the RR? isn't one way good enough and spend other time going a different way??<BR><BR>don't know your budget, but we like the klinghofer gasthof in rothenburg--just outside the wall and has parking...walk into town in 3 minutes...not expensive...very good &quot;local&quot; restaurant on first floor
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:26 AM

Knulp: Will you be kind enough to post your trip report after you return? We will be going in Oct. All I know at this time is to arrive in Frankrfurt and pick up a car. We will have 3 weeks to spend. We may fly out from Munich. The rest is still up in the air! Nothing planned yet.<BR><BR>Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:55 AM

Knulp,<BR><BR>We have done 2 road trips to eastern Bavaria the last 3 years and in May of last year the Schloss Veitschochheim outside of Wurzburg was closed for restoration. I do not know if it is open but do not despair. The Residence in Wurzburg eith its massive frescoed stairway is a must see and the rest of the city has much to offer, the Marienburg fortress, the gorgeous pedestrian bridge with its statues over the Main r., etc., and the surrounding vineyards seen from the city. Save another day for Wurzburg. You will not regret it. The small walled city near Wurzburg of Iphofen is a charmer. Dinkelsbuhl, Donauworth, Nordlingen, and Rothenburg are all worthy of visits from our experience.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Well here is the latest. <BR> Rudesheim is out for overnight. We will stay further up the valley.<BR><BR>I am trying to move things around per suggestions and make longer stays, although it makes drinking beer and wine more difficult on me as this will include more driving.<BR><BR>I checked out Memmingen and it is definate as well as turbingen.<BR><BR>Munich still may only be a day as we prefer towns to cities but the wife wants to shop for clothes so one day in Munich should be enough.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the input and if anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am starting to get serious about hotels so if anyone wants to chime in?<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM

Post from the Late - Great - Wes Fowler<BR>The Frankfurt airport is located southwest of the city, as is the town of Assmannshausen on the banks of the Rhine. The drive from the airport to Assmannshausen is under 40 miles the bulk of which is via autobahn; the drive time is only 50 minutes or so. To allay your husband's concerns, take a look at the website: <BR>www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa <BR>Click on the &quot;Online guide&quot; in the left hand frame. In the columns now appearing on your screen, you can see pictographs of European road signs, by clicking on &quot;Germany&quot; see rules of the road and common German phrases seen on signage, i.e. &quot;Eingang&quot; - entrance; &quot;Ausfahrt&quot; - exit, etc. <BR><BR>For a reasonably priced hotel in Assmannshausen, go to <BR>www.assmannshausen.mittelrhein.net and click on the photo for the Hotel Cafe-Post. Double rooms with bath are between $65 and $85 dollars. The hotel is family owned, riverside with sloping hillsides to the rear. Assmannshausen is far less touristy than Rudesheim. <BR><BR>Here s an itinerary that encompasses part of the Mosel Valley and part <BR>of the Rhine Valley that may be of interest to you. It encompasses slightly less than 150 miles. <BR>Assuming you may be staying in or near Assmannshausen, drive south on <BR>Route 42 to the ferry to Bingen on the western shore of the Rhine. In <BR>Bingen take Rte A61 about 11 miles to Rheinbollen where you ll pick up <BR>Rte 50 to Bernkastel. Bernkastel has a lovely town square surrounded <BR>by timber-framed houses and an interesting wine museum. Continue north <BR>on Rte B53 on the banks of the Mosel River to Traven-Trarbach and drive <BR>up to the ruins of the fortress Grevenburg where you ll get a superb <BR>view of the Mosel Valley and the town below. Continue on to Cochem, <BR>where you ll be deep in the heart of wine country. Pick up Rte B49/B416 <BR>to Moselkern and Burg Eltz, one of Germany s truly spectacular river <BR>fortresses. It s a steep drive and you have to walk the last few meters <BR>or take the shuttle bus. The guided tour is well worthwhile. Backtrack <BR>to Moselkern and turn left on B416 to Koblenz. Koblenz was flattened in <BR>WW II and has been restored. Look for the signs for the Felsenfestung <BR>Ehrenbreitstein, (the Rock Fortress), accessible by chair lift. The <BR>largest fortress in Europe offers impressive views of the city below and <BR>two mountain ranges, the Eifel and the Hunsruck. <BR><BR>Take Rte B9 south from Koblenz to Boppard. You re now alongside the <BR>Rhine. Boppard has the reamins of Roman fortifications walls some 20 <BR>off feet high and in the Alte Burg (Old Castle) there s an interesting <BR>museum devoted to the region s folkways. <BR><BR>St. Goar is about 9 miles south of Boppard on Rte B9. There s an <BR>interesting church the Stiftskirche. Its interest comes about due to <BR>the diversity of its architectural style with a Romanesque crypt and <BR>architectural embellishments from the 15th, 16th and 17th century. St. <BR>Goar, too, has a castle fortress, the 13th century Burg Rheinfels. <BR><BR>Bingen, 20 miles south of St Goar on B9 has yet another fortress that <BR>dates back to Roman times. It s the Burg Klopp. On the ferry back to <BR>Assmannshausen, you might notice a tower on an island in the Rhine. It s <BR>the Mauseturm (Mice Tower) and dates back to the early 1200s.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:00 PM

<BR>Knulp: When visiting Munich, I'd recommend leaving the car in Landsberg; the train connections are good and it probably won't cost much more if you consider parking, the cost of gas in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the hassle of finding your way into / around / out of this major city. The train gets you into the heart of things quickly and easily. A daypass on the regional trains for the in-and-out will cover you (up to 5 people) for 21 Euros on weekdays.<BR><BR>Admittedly, I dislike driving in Germany and am very partial to trains. It's not that driving there is unusually difficult - it's just that driving is a lot of work and detracts from what I think should be a relaxing experience. I did a route very similar to yours last spring with my family and in-laws almost entirely by train. It's great to be able to enjoy the local libations with no worries and to just kick back and enjoy the scenery and conversation.<BR><BR>Anyway, enjoy yourself - but leave the car in Landsberg.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:09 AM

Can't help but notice that the one day in Munich is a Sunday and your activity is shopping- most shops will be closed up tight!<BR>I agree with others that Munich deserves more than 1 day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:36 AM

I don't follow the &quot;Travel Germany&quot; posts very often, but when I do I don't ever remember seeing Calw. I had a lot of fun there and it is a very pretty city. My wife and I spent a couple of days there during the Christmas Market in 2000. We stayed at the the Rossle one night and the Haus drie Tannen the next. Both were very nice.<BR><BR>Also, we stayed here (http://www.ochsen-hoefen.de/) for two nights and drove into Baden Baden go gamble. It is a very scenic drive, and this hotel is quite reasonable and in a beautiful spot by the river.<BR><BR>Have fun.