Family trip to the West of Ireland

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to the West of Ireland

We're interested in family trip to Galway and the west. We'd ideally like to rent a place for 10 days or so. Is there enough to do for teens? How far a drive is Dublin -- could that be a day trip, possibly w/an overnight to see the city sights?
thanks for help
Pat H.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:37 AM

Pat
Galway is an active city and I am sure you can keep your teens happy there. As far as Dublin, it is a pretty easy drive but not sure how long. We did it but made many stops along the way so it was an all day affair for us. If you did it non-stop should be fairly quick (3-4 hours? experts on this drive please chime in). I would think you would want to overnight in Dublin or the area to avoid a return trip in the same day. Might even want to spend two nights, one when you arrive, sight see the next full day, overnight, then back to Galway. I do not know what kind of train service might be available. That might be an option as well. One day in Dublin will give you an overview of the city. The walking tour offered every day that begins at the gates of Trinity College is quite good.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:11 AM

Hi Pat:

Four hours is pretty accurate depending on stops and traffic. Could take longer, probably not much less. That said, I'm not sure I would drive all the way across and back just to see Dublin. Yes, there is a lot to see, but if you drive, you have to figure out driving in Dublin, which can be a little crazy. My feeling is that you would probably need two overnights to get a feel for the city.

There is PLENTY to see and do in the west. Galway is a very young city and there are lots of options around. Castles, cliffs, beaches, islands and on and on. I'm not knocking Dublin, but since you're not headed that way in general, save it for another trip.

Bill
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. What about rentals? Is it possible to rent a cottage for a week or more outside Galway or thereabouts? And how would one get information on real estate rentals?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:59 AM

Yes there are many vacation cottages but they usually rent for 7 days SAT to SAT. You probably won't be able to get a place for the other 3 days since it is high season. Make sure you begin booking right away because places fill up fast in the Galway area especially in August.

Go to www.tourismireland.com or try some of the links on Pat Prestons site
http://www.irelandexpert.com/linkspa...tering/Rentals