German ICE train, platform help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2020, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I boarded an ICE train in Cologne, it was not clear which spot of the platform I should stand in order to be in front of my wagon when the train pulled in.

I did not see any painted marks on the ground like Japanese Shinkansen. Are there electronic boards on the platform which I should look for before deciding where to stand?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 07:04 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Never been to Cologne, but on every train I've taken in Germany there have been electronic boards on the platforms with the number of the incoming train, it's final destination and letters, A, B, C, D, etc, indicating which section to stand in for 1st Class, Second Class and the restaurant carriage.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 09:59 PM

Hi Reading54,

Do you have a specific reserved seat you are looking for?

If not, and you only want to find the 1st class and 2d class carriages, Melnq8 has given you all the information you'll need to know!

If you are looking for a specific carriage & seat number, then try to get to your platform early, and look for the big posters that list all the ICE trains for the day -- sometimes it's taken me several minutes and several strolls up & down the platform to locate the poster. It is white, as opposed to the yellow departure posters. Then find your train on the list. There will be a diagram of the train, with the carriage numbers shown, and it will also show where that carriage will be on the platform (A, B, C, etc).

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Melnq and Swandav for your responses.
Yes, I want to find out where to wait for my specific carriage number. If that is not possible, then at least where the1st and 2nd class areas are.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:31 AM

The German word for what you want is "Wagenstandsanzeiger". You can normally find the posters with the "Wagenstandsanzeiger" near the yellow posters with the departure times and the white ones with the arrival times (on the platforms).
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:39 PM

Hi Reading54,

Here is a link that might be helpful. If you scroll down to "Car sequence signage (Wagenreihungsplan)" you will see a picture of what the posters look like. Yellow is where the first class carriages are and green is for 2nd class. There are also some other useful bits of information on that page if you are travelling by rail in Germany.

https://fotoeins.com/2015/02/16/how-...rail-stations/
Good luck!
Lavandula
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Ah, this is very helpful. Thanks a lot!