Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

German Castle Hotels - Any recommendations

Aug 27th, 2000, 11:38 AM
steve

We are looking to stay in a castle turned into hotel in September along the Rhine. There are roughly 20 to choose from. Has anyone stayed at one they would recommend?

Aug 27th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Doug

Many years ago we stayed at a real nice old castle in St. Goarhausen overlooking the Rhine. We had a fantastic view, especially at dawn as the barges chugged downstream past our hillside. I forget the castle's name but the following website should be of help to you:

http://loreleyvalley.com/rhine-maps/index.html

Aug 27th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Doug

I just did some further checking for you and found this website for the place I reccommended:

http://www.tagungshotel-rheinfels.de/

Aug 28th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Ann

Steve, we have stayed many times at Burghotel auf Schonburg, above Oberwesel, and recommend it highly. Plan on being there for dinner, as well; they have an excellent restaurant. If you check previous posts on this forum, you'll find many Fodorites agree. In fact, I count on spending the last night in Germany in this magical place... the perfect ending before flying home.

Aug 28th, 2000, 02:52 PM
kk

I stayed in 3 years ago and would recommend the Schlosshotel Villa Rheinfels. I can't find the English web site but here is the German one and you can have a look. It lists the hotel at the bottom.http://www.tagungshotel-rheinfels.de/
The castle is the oldest on the Rhine. It is above St. Goar and has (of course) a wonderful view. The food and service were good and the hotel itself is charming.

Aug 28th, 2000, 10:03 PM
nickie

Another vote for Auf Schonburg! A very classy hotel in the walls of a thousand year old castle.The room was extremely comfortable, the walks around the castle pleasant, and it is convenient to other attractions, as long as you're driving.

Sep 20th, 2000, 01:49 PM
devona

My husband and I spent three nights at Auf Schonburg last October. It was a great central location from which to explore the Rhine Valley. I can't express in words just how fantastic our accomodations were. We upgraded to a "Tower Room", and were pleasantly suprised to find that our room was round, as the exterior of the tower is. Our room also had a balcony overlooking the Rhine River and a beautiful valley of vineyards. The upgrade was well worth the extra paid!!!!! The restaurant was superb as well. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Sep 30th, 2000, 08:29 AM
René

Castle Schorssow / Mecklenburg- Vorpommern between Teterow and Waren
with romantic lakes etc.
Nice restored and friendly with moderad rates.