Britain in April?

Sep 23rd, 2000, 08:01 AM
Lucy

Britain in April?

I am wondering if April is a good time to go to Britain? What can I expect weather wise, and as far as pricing and availability of hotels? I am hoping to go the week before Easter. Any insight would be helpful, we haven't yet pinpointed an exact destination, just British Isles. THanks!

Sep 23rd, 2000, 08:18 AM
Gytha

Hi Lucy,
The weather in April over the last few years has been warm and sunny, BUT beware of showers and make sure you bring some raincoats.
As for hotel pricing, it really depends on the area you are looking for. You would probably need to book soon though as it will be school holidays at around that time so the hotels could be busy. Nice hotels are the Forte chain - especially Forte heritage.
When you've decided on where you want to go in Britain then you can usually find a tourist information site on the web.
Good luck!

Sep 27th, 2000, 11:00 AM
carolyn

HOME—THOUGHTS FROM ABROAD
Robert Browning

Oh, to be in England
Now that April’s there
And whoever wakes in England
Sees, some morning, unaware,
That the lowest boughs and the brush-wood sheaf
Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
In England—now!
. . .

We went to London during Easter week in 1998 and benefited from taking our Cuddle Duds (silk long underwear) and raincoats. It was cool and rainy most of the week and one day we experienced the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen, but they melted on contact. There were crowds because of the holiday week, but if you are going the week before, you shouldn't encounter them. They kept having religious services at Westminster, so we only got in there on the third attempt! Don't worry about the weather; there is so much to do that it's impossible not to have a good time.

Sep 27th, 2000, 11:30 AM
David White

The average temps in London during April are 42° to 56°...Rain is a definite possibility.

The further north and west you go, the colder and windier it may be. Central and southern UK may be more temperate.

But, hey, don't go to Britain for the weather! Just be prepared with the right clothes and adopt an attitude that allows you to enjoy yourself in spite of the weather.

Have a good trip!

David White

http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Sep 30th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Linda

Lucy,
We went to England this past April, and in April 2 years previously. It is my favorite month for travel: things you want to see are open but not crowded. Weather is a toss-up: we saw snow in one form or another 4 days during this last time and dealt with lots of rain, but during our earlier trip it was simply GLORIOUS -- cool but sunny, and with bluebells and primroses everywhere. Hotel prices didn't seem to vary much, but we rented a cottage for a week and got off-season rates there, saving around 100 pounds.