Gent-Bruges-Antwerp-Brussels

Feb 13th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Gent-Bruges-Antwerp-Brussels

Suggestions welcome for one or all 4 cities!

Favorite architectural structure or must-see site?
Favorite neighborhood to walk around and get lost in?
Favorite local food to try? Where?

GO!
Feb 13th, 2019, 08:34 PM

Bruges- We went early morning and wandered before the restaurants opened. We ate waffles at the Waffle House. Cozy and warm waffles. Then we explored all over by foot, then took a canal ride. Great way to see parts of the city. We did walk through a huge park and then had frites in the main square for lunch. By then a lot of crowds so we went exploring some more and ended our da at De Halve Maan brewery. Great beer and a hot chocolate. We did not eat there but the food looked delish.

Ghent- Our first night there we ate at De Superette. We had a great Mortadella pizza and a very unique salad. Very quirky place with tons of locals. Would definitely eat there again.

We walked all over the town. The parks were beautiful. The artwork and buildings throughout the city interesting. We did not gwt to see the castle the day we were there,,,,it was having some odor issues

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Feb 13th, 2019, 09:00 PM

In Brussels you can take Art Nouveau tours of the city - the dominant form of architecture in the suburbs - although two of the standout structures will be the Horta Museum (house of the architect Victor Horta) and the Museum of Musical Instruments, housed in the former department store 'Old England'. You can also walk the Comic Strip route (not sure if this is the correct name), where many of the city's blank walls have been painted with scenes from comics (an important form of art in Belgium). And of course there are numerous medieval and baroque buildings (think Grand' Place) and the 19th century Galeries St Hubert, the first shopping arcade (filled with elegant shops, many of which sell chocolates).

You might like the Marolles, a former working-class neighbourhood which has been gentrified and which has many antique shops. It is near to the flea market (Place du Jeu de Balles), which is on every day but winds up at 2pm.

Lavandula
Feb 13th, 2019, 10:41 PM

Antwerp:
Art deco district in Berchem
Central Station
Modern architecture: MAS, palace of justice, the Zaha Hadid designed headquarters of the Port of Antwerp,

Hendrik Conscience Plein with the Carolus Borromeus church is beautiful.

For Belgian food? no specific recommendation, you eat fairly well everywhere. Maybe Chez Fred, in Kloosterstraat, for prawn croquettes and Belgian beef stew with fries.
Feb 14th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

@pagngo Thank you for the restaurant suggestions, I will check them out! What a strange reason for the castle to be closed!
@lavandula Thanks, I probably won't have time for an actual tour as my schedule is rather tight, I will have to wander on my own! I already have the Museum of Musical Instruments high on my list and will be sure to check out the Horta Museum and Marolles neighborhood.
@Tulips I might only have a half day in Antwerp so this is helpful, thank you!

Speaking of the Castle, has anyone been there and did you find it worthwhile?
Feb 14th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Antwerp is a diamond center of Europe and some shops and 'factories' are close to the main train station - a Jewish area with many men wearng skull caps and traditional Orthodox Jewish garb.
Feb 14th, 2019, 01:58 PM

Thanksgiving Week in Germany and Belgium

Trip report from our adventures
We adored Ghent, enjoyed Bruges as day trip from Ghent, and wished we'd had longer in Antwerp
Feb 14th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Gent makes a good base -easy day trips to Bruges one way and Antwerp the other.

Brussels has a lot of neat things but they take time to ferret out but one day there for many is enough. Fairly modern busy city with little old-world looks.
Feb 14th, 2019, 06:07 PM

If time is at a premium in Brussels then you might be rewarded by visiting the tourist information in the town hall in the Grand' Place. They have self-guided tour maps so you can see the city in the best way, and possibly some of them are online, so do google the tourist bureaus for Brussels and Flanders. How much time do you have for your whole trip? and how much for each destination?

Lavandula
Feb 15th, 2019, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
Maybe Chez Fred, in Kloosterstraat
Were there recently on a Saturday evening. Very, very crowded and noisy. And the food is no longer what it used to be ten years ago (IMO).

Feb 15th, 2019, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Antwerp is a diamond center of Europe and some shops and 'factories' are close to the main train station - a Jewish area with many men wearng skull caps and traditional Orthodox Jewish garb.
Except for Central Station, this is the least interesting part of the city if you want to see the historic centre.

Feb 15th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MyriamC View Post
Except for Central Station, this is the least interesting part of the city if you want to see the historic centre.
Very true, Myriam.
Feb 15th, 2019, 08:30 AM

Two interesting museums that my husband and I enjoyed in Antwerp are the Museum Plantin-Moretus and the Museum Mayer van den Bergh. The first is a fascinating 33-room museum showing the home and printing plant of a family who ran a major publishing house for several centuries, beginning in 1576. The second contains a large and impressive collection of paintings, sculpture, stained glass, tapestries and manuscripts amassed by an art connoisseur in the 19th century.

In Brussels we really enjoyed the Horta museum mentioned by others. It is only open for a few hours on weekday afternoons, but for longer hours on weekends.
Feb 15th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Interesting is subjective - I enjoyed strolling thru the Jewish/diamond district - not long. The most fascinating neighborhood to me was the Turkish area just north (?) of city centre - the red-light district in near there too-if it still exists - a mini one of Amsterdam's. I also enjoyed walking along the old warehouses of the old port area starting at the center. I went to Antwerp maybe 30 times on business but that was long ago but feel it is only better now.