Search

Brugge/Antwerp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brugge/Antwerp

We will be staying in Brugge for 3 nights. Then on to Amsterdam by train. Need suggestions for day in Antwerp. Should we plan 1 full day? or is it possible to take the train from Brugge to Amsterdam, stopping in Antwerp for the day? and then back on the train to Amsterdam. Also, does anyone know if there are any accomodations for luggage/lockers at the train stations?
Thanks,
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:54 AM
gb

I found Antwerp a bit of a dreary city. There are a few interesting sights near the grote market place. There's a old ship museum along the water, and a lovely 12th C church being restored and of course the centerpiece cathedral. I didn't check out the diamond center. I'm not sure about the trains but I think everything goes to Brussels to the main station, then to Amsterdam. Sounds like you won't have a car. If you did, I think a stop in Delft, the Hague or to the windmill park outside of Rotterdam is a better way to spend a day.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Antwerp a dreary city?? Then you were either in a bad mood or in a bad neighbourhoord, gb!

Judi1,
Of course you should plan 1 full day in Antwerp! There's so much to see.
When you get off the train in Antwerp Central station look around in the station which is also called the "Railway Cathedral". You'll see why! They're still working at the station but the main hall is worth a quick visit.
When you leave the Central Station go straight to the tourist office and get yourself a city map. Then head to the historical centre (either by foot, abt. 15/20 min. or by underground tram).
The historical centre is fairly small, easily walkable and mainly pedestrian zone. It starts at the Groenplaats, a large square surrounded by restaurants and cafés.
There are some very beautiful churches to visit: the gothic Our Lady's Cathedral at Handschoenmarkt (beautiful stained windows and 3 large paintings by Rubens), baroque Carolus Borromeus Church on Hendrik Conscienceplein, or baroque St. Paul's (it has a very large collection of paintings from the Flemish Masters).
Antwerp being a main port it has of course a Maritime Museum, located in a former castle, 't Steen, along the river Scheldt.
As the city of Rubens, the Master's house can be visited as well (Rubenshuis museum).
There are many more museums and architectural pearls that you can find on every website.
Oh! I forgot the Grote Markt (main square) with the City Hall and the guildhouses. And all the surrounding cobblestoned streets with 16th century houses. Lots of them have have been transformed into a cozy restaurant or pub.
If you don't like museums or churches, just stroll in the cobblestoned narrow streets and breathe the atmosphere.
That was the historical centre.

The Zuid (south) is the most trendy neighbourhood with lots of nightlife while the Zurenborg area is special because of its richly decorated Art Nouveau style houses. Some look more like small palaces.

Then there's the Jewish part of Antwerp, the centre of diamond trade. It's not my favorite neighbourhood but if you like diamonds, that's the place to be.

There are some very good websites on Antwerp. Check them out and enjoy your day overhere!

Links: http://www.aviewoncities.com/antwerp.htm
http://www.trabel.com/antwerp.htm
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM
gb

Sorry, I was driving which was quite a challenge there. So, maybe I was in the wrong neighborhood because I didn't see some of the things you mentioned.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Antwerp is a great place to spend a day - or longer - on the way to A'dam. I didn't do any museums while there, but the entire old town center is a gem, with plenty of interesting architecture, pretty churches, and a great outdoor cafe scene.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I can understand gb. Driving in Antwerp, or in any other Belgian city, is indeed a challenge! Ask my son, who just got his drivers licence and got lost in Antwerp last night ... He says he will hate one-way streets for the rest of his life. >
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 01:56 PM
gb

We kept finding ourselves in a sort dumpy area where the road was all torn up over trolley tracks and kept circling the same way over and over, until we found our way to the highway. We did like St. Paul's Church, if it is the small older one with lots of old wood.