Genova - worth visiting??

Oct 15th, 1997, 05:12 PM
Julie

Genova - worth visiting??

Has anyone been to Genova? Is it worth visiting or should I skip it?

Thanks

Oct 15th, 1997, 09:27 PM
Tricia

If you are talking about Geneva, Switzerland I think the concensus is to skip it, but it depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.

Oct 15th, 1997, 10:42 PM
Julie

Actually its Genova in Italy or is it spelt Genoa.

Oct 16th, 1997, 04:25 AM
Lanny

At the risk of incurring the wrath of everyone who lives there, or comes from there, let me say this. I spent 3 days in Genova (as the Italians do pronounce it Tricia!) in May 1996 prior to taking a Cunard cruise that departed from there and my vote is that you miss it. I had assumed in booking three days in Genoa prior to sailing that it would be a delightful city that I would enjoy roaming through in much the fashion of many other similar sized Italian cities I have come to know and enjoy over the years. Boy, was I wrong. It is a dirty little port city with, frankly, limited attractions for the tourist. See the statue dedicated to Christopher Columbus in the square near the hotel I stayed in and then what else to do?? I did my best to take in all the attractions but they could have been squeezed into a half day at best. I even killed time one miserable rainy day by going to the acquarium and found it horridly disappointing as it promised sharks etc. and all they had were a couple of mangy nurse sharks. I have more interesting fish in my backyard fishpond! I also -- and this was the biggest disappointment -- found the food pedestrian, in a country I have always assumed you couldn't find a bad meal in. I was wrong. I had several unmemorable meals in Genoa.

Oct 16th, 1997, 08:46 AM
Joe Lomax

I have only been through Genova and have wondered
the same thing. Three small points: 1) It is in a beautiful setting with the mountains falling into the sea. I admit this does not hold you for days.
2) The Cinque Terre are close by train. I know these from experience have great food, wine and scenery. Like other 'day-trip' towns everywhere, they are best experienced after the day-trippers have left. 3) Mark Twain in "Innocents Abroad" (1869) loved Genova, and there were many places that he slammed like no one else could. He saw beautiful gardens and villas and I have wondered whether the places he saw are still there and still as picturesque. Just a thought.

Oct 17th, 1997, 06:46 AM
jan

If this is your only time in Italy, Genoa could
be skipped. But I loved visiting there, since it
had lovely views over the Mediterranean, great
seafood, intriguing history and architecture and
a real, not touristy atmosphere. Also a funicular
made the trip from the hill to the base an adventure.

Oct 21st, 1997, 10:27 PM
michelle

I pretty much agree with everyone who's already replied: Genova is fine for a day but no more! We had planned to use Genova as a home base for a couple days to explore the surrounding Mediterrean towns, but ended up getting stuck there for 2.5 days when Italian rail went on strike- however, a day can be spent exploring the Palazzo Ducale if you enjoy art exhibits and there is a great view from the top of the funicular. But as was said before, it is very much a rough port town, so don't expect the romance you get in other Italian cities. In short, if you've got a day to kill, Genova is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it.

Oct 30th, 1997, 08:36 PM
lvcarlson

Hey, come on! Genova has its charms--it's the home of pesto, some fabulous architecture and one of the most outrageous cemetaries in Europe. If you didn't find good food there, its because you didn't look very hard.

Oct 30th, 1997, 08:36 PM
lvcarlson

Hey, come on! Genova has its charms--it's the home of pesto, some fabulous architecture and one of the most outrageous cemetaries in Europe. If you didn't find good food there, its because you didn't look very hard.