Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GENOA: ZTL & parking? Worth an overnight stay driving from Monaco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
DAX
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering of driving round trip from Monaco to overnight in Genova for fun.
My concerns:
Is Genoa worth the two hour drive from Côte d'Azur? I'm factoring in the multi freeway dark tunnels with high speed trucks whizzing by vs the city charm & food.
How can we avoid ZTL in Genoa if we want to stay in a downtown hotel? I can read Italian well if there is a good detailed explanation online? Good 4-5 star hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM

My late husband and I took a day trip to Genoa from Menton* (where we based) by train. It would take almost 5 hours from Monaco (one change once you hit Italy if it's still the same as when we went). To avoid parking/zone woes, you could drive to Ventimiglio (crazy big monthly market) and take the train from there to Genoa.

Whether it's worth it is sure to stir up controversy here. Please look in a good guide and see if you are interested in what Genova has to offer that is of interest to you. If you didn't go to Genoa, what would be your next choice?

We just grabbed a pizza near the Piazza Ducale and Piazza de Ferrari (area where we visited) so I can't help with food. We walked along a street of old palaces (now mostly banks!) but forewent the museum.

*We really enjoyed Menton. Great waterfront, nice historic area.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:07 AM

If you google Genoa ZTL, then just below your own post, you will see the city's own ZTL site, in Italian, complete with maps and hours.