Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be leaving for Villefranche-sur-Mer in two weeks and would welcome any suggestions for things to do and sights to see while in the area. I've never been to this part of France and haven't yet researched highlights of the region, but thought I'd start here for advice from more seasoned travelers. Since it's so close to the border I do plan to rent a car so I can drive in to Italy. I'll have about 5 days there. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Trains from Villefranche to the Italian border run every 30 min, trains from there to San Remo - Imperia - Savona - Genova - 5Terre - Pisa about every hr.

All depends on your interests: sea aqarium, Picasso museum, tons of museums of local painters, scenic railways, endless hiking trails to hidden medieval villages and churches, mountain gorges, old fortresses, viewpoints .....
Impossible to give any advice without knowing your interests
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 07:28 AM

And you can take the train to Nice and visit there as well. Points further west too.

Monte Carlo, which we didn't care for, might be something you would like.

Also, closer stops in Italy: Ventimiglia [nice market] and Bordighera with lovely little cafes along the Italian Riveria.

Also, be sure to go to Saint Jean Cap Ferrat and the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Invest in a guidebook. There's lots to see in this area.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Second Mimar about getting a guidebook and neckerved re not being able to recommend something without knowing your interests. If you do decide to go to Monte Carlo, take the train rather than drive. Monte Carlo was less than what we had expected, but parking and driving logistics might have been part of the reason for our experience. Lots of artists lived in the area so there are studio museums and the like to visit.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 09:16 AM

In Villefranche, don't miss la "Rue Obscure" (Dark Street).
The highlights of the region are Nice, Eze-Village, Monaco, Menton, driving one of the three "Corniches" (the "Moyenne Corniche" goes to Eze-Village).
As DebitNM said, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat and the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild are to see, likewise the Villa Kerylos at Beaulieu-sur-Mer.
And some hilltop villages : Peillon, Peille, Saint-Agnès...
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 09:22 AM

If you enjoy walking you can do the hike around Cap Ferrat. We thoroughly enjoyed taking this from Ville-Franche. We stopped to see Ephrussi and at lunch in St-Jean Cap Ferrat.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Meant to add this to the previous post http://www.activeazur.com/hike-guide...t-hiking-trail
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Second the recommendation for Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild. Also take the train to Monaco and see the aquarium which is awesome!!
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Don't miss the gardens in Monaco, and seconding the Villa Rothschild, as well as Kerylos.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the days when the cruise ships are in port and go on your day trips then. You can tour up and down the coast easily by bus( goes along the water) or train.
We liked Villefranche very much and had a wonderful lunch at Le Cosmo on their patio.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. With all these suggestions I should be more than able to fill the days. I'm very much an art enthusiast so will definitely plan to visit museums in the area. I had read that parking can be quite challenging, but as I'll have access to a free spot where I'll be staying thought it would be an experience in itself to take some day trips in the car. It sounds like taking the train for some destinations might be a better option? The opportunity for this trip came up unexpectedly and I'm tempted to let each day unfold as it may, without having a definite itinerary, but want to experience as much as I can while I'm there. I will definitely invest in a guidebook! Merci bien!
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Another vote for Villa Rothschild