Genoa hotel advice

Search

Genoa hotel advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genoa hotel advice

After a 7 day bike trip in the Piedmont region of Italy in July, we will have one day/night to explore Genoa. We will arrive by train and departi the next day at noon by plane. We need comfy bed and air conditioning and non-smoking.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:17 AM

You can catch a shuttle bus to the airport from both Brignole station and Principe Station in Genova. I think the area around Brignole is nicer. Many people also like to stay right in the port area, although you will find it complicated to get to and from there with your bags unless you take a taxi (they are not hugely expensive).

You don't state your budget, so your best bet is to look at user reviews on TripAdvisor, booking.com and venere.com, checking to make sure they were written by people who stayed in summer and used the air con. Also look at the b&b listings, since they can be quite clean and nice, but double check for reliable air con. The best-looking hotel I've seen right near Brignole station is Albergo Verdi, but I know nothing about staying there. (I live not far from Genova so I don't use hotels there). I would avoid hotels on the via di Pre or via San Luca, rather shabby areas.

One thing you might consider if you see lodgings you like that has good reviews but isn't within easy walking distance of the train is to check your luggage at Brignole (or Principe) and just carry an overnight bag -- unless of course you don't plan to take the shuttle bus to the airport. Taxis from central Genova to the airport will run you about 30 euros. Shuttle bus tix are about 6 euros apiece.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM

www.grandhotelsavoiagenoa.com

my fav 1 block from station good deals on discounters

from 110 euro/nt also other cheaper ones nearby.

Easy walk downhill to harbor for me when there last May.

The most AWESOME breakfast buffet I had on my trip included

so bring your appitite!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Metropoli in July 2009. http://book.bestwestern.it/EN/hotel_...ova_98125.aspx At the time the corridors were showing at little age but from looking at the current website it seems they've done a major remodel. The staff were accomodating, the breakfast as rich as shown on their site, perfect AC, large bathroom, comfortable bed, quiet even on a busy piazza. But most importantly was the location. We were only there for 2 nights and one full day and the hotel sat at one corner of a triangle which allowed us to walk via Garibaldi then down to the waterfront, across it and then up through the medieval alleyways, exploring along the way, of course. I know we walked to the train station but I'm not sure I'd want to do it with luggage.

On a side note, if you're not taking a guided bike trip in the Piemonte, I'd suggest finding a listing of the farmers markets that set up on various days in the small towns and villages. As chance would have it we were doing a two week road trip in the area late June and early July and stumble upon these markets. Who knew fresh fruit could taste so good - cherries, watermelon, cherry tomatoes. That and a small bread with salami or proscuitto and a view of the hills and vineyards. Does it get any better?
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all 3 of you. I have just gotten back to thinking about my trip, with the lack of a hotel booking in Genoa weighing on me.

I am definitely looking at your suggestions. At the Grand Hotel Savoia, is there any reason to book an Executive Double or Deluxe Double instead of a Classic Double?

Thanks for your help!