Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Genoa - First Visit - Always Previously Overlooked

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

In August, enroute to the Cinque Terre by train from Nice, we have been advised that this time we should stop and spend a few days in Genoa.

It appears that much effort and money has been invested in recent years in restoration projects there.

We would like to find a nice place (3-4 star+) to stay, preferably not too far from the Main Station.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well as any other general advice/suggestions for our visit to Genoa.

Thank you
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM

There are 2 main train stations in Genova. I think the area around Brignole station is nicer than the area around piazza Principe station.

Since I live so close to Genova I don't stay in hotels there, but I would advise you to check out reviews on Booking.com.

I would keep your expectations modest about a "renovated" Genova. Some money was spent about 10 years ago, but Genova has suffered 2 difficult floods in the interim, plus the ongoing austerity of the European Union and other economic diffculties. Genova does relatively well as an important shipping port for Italy and Switzerland, but it does not have extra money at the moment for beautifications.

If you are very interested in art, don't overlook the museums in the suburb of Nervi. Otherwise, Genova is probably enjoyed best by people well-informed about Mediterranean history, the natufical history of the region and people who just generally enjoy an Italian destianation that isn't focused on serving tourist, but instead is vigorously involved in economic activity that has little to do with that (although the cruise ships are parked in the port).

Good food! Be sure to track down farinata.

(Genova is quite steep in places, so don't be afraid to spend on taxis in August and learn where the funiculars are if you want to hike and see the views from the top). For a day trip, if Nervi doesn't appeal, it can be quite nice to head to unusual medieval Albenga, which is the opposite direction of le Cinque Terre, about an hour east).
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Hi Good_Will, I loved Genoa, precisely because it has so much history and it doesn't cater to tourists. It's been a while as I traveled in 2009, so take it with a grain of salt. There weren't the herds of tourists like in Florence or even in Cinque Terre. I loved Galleria di Palazzo Rosso and Blanco: http://www.museidigenova.it/spip.php?rubrique227.

I also loved the beach near Camogli.

Can't help with lodgings suggestions as I stayed with a friend of a friend.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM

The Palazzo Cicala opposite the duomo is one of my favourites. It's beautifully modern in an old buillding with large rooms and good bathrooms. Breakfast is great if you like good coffee (a rarity in hotels,) nice pastries and fresh fruit, eaten looking at the front of the duomo.

Our food in Genoa was interesting and good although I didn't take notes of the names of restaurants.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Sandralist - thank you for your detailed and revealing assessment of Genoa - and to tarquin and RainyDay09, thank you for the advice on the specifics of museums sites, places of interest and accomodation.

We will take a look at Palazzo Cicala and would welcome recommendations on ristorante and other hotel alternatives that are interesting and the best Genoa has to offer.

Genoa appears as an interesting challenge and we look forward to learning more.

Thanks again