Search

Geneva-Zermatt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva-Zermatt

Flying into Geneva in early October and have six days before expected in Zermatt. I need suggestions as to how to maximize time. Is Italy (Lake Como) doable? Or is it best to stay in Switzerland?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Hi Sammyrick. Switzerland is amazing and six days is easy to fill from Geneva. Montreux is beautiful, Lucern, Interlaken and sourounding area lovely. We had 8 days in Switzerland days 4 years ago coming up from the Italian lakes and our schdule went Lucern, Interlaken, Montreux Zermatt and.hmmm near St Moritz (using the glacier express train which was wonderful)
Zermatt is fantastic especially if you get good weather. The Matterhorn when seen for the first time amazing. Go up on the cable cars to Klein Matterhorn and take tons of film.
We loved Lake Maggoire but I wouldnt spoil the enjoyment of switzerland by wizzing through it. Its not that sort of country... you have to saviour the scenery as it is truly beautiful. (Make sure you check out the rail passes we found it was better to have the actual Swiss railpass for our travels there as which we brought before leaving home)
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM

See my reply at your other thread. Bon Voyage.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Ah ha, now I remember; it wasn't your thread. Good move. Here's what I wrote:

While you're in Geneve, you can visit Yvoire on Lac Leman and Annecy to your south--both in France. If you make your last stop before Zermatt Lugano, you'll feel like you are in Italy. For a contrasting middle place to stay, try either one of the little lake towns at the foot of the Oberland (Brienz, for example), or the city of Lucerne on its own spectacular lake.

I'm assuming you've not counted your Geneve nights and your Zermatt nights in the six, so that permits a three-night stop in Lucerne and a three-nighter in Lugano. Lots of daytrips possible from each. J.

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Actually the six nights was NOT including time in Geneva or Zermatt so if you can think of more to put in there, that would be great. Should I give up on Lake Como?