Search

Geneva to Zermatt transportation advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva to Zermatt transportation advice

Hi all!

I am excited to take my first ski trip to Europe at the end of Feb. I am wondering if I should buy my ticket from Geneva->Zermatt in advance of if I can wait and purchase the train ticket when I arrive. I was able to buy online tickets on sbb.ch for Zermatt->Chamonix leg and then from Chamonix->Geneva but can't seem to do it for the first part of the trip on sbb.ch. I found raileurope.com is another option-does anyone have a good experience with using raileurope?

Also any good recommendations to eat/drink in Zermatt and Chamonix?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Hardly anybody has a good experience using RailEurope. It's a middle-man, with the mark-ups and extra fees that entails.

Use en.oui.sncf. It's 1 3.5-hour ride with a change in Visp. It will behoove you to reserve now to save money.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:16 AM

No, don't use the French Railways website oui.sncf for a Swiss Railways journey and certainly don't expect to find Swiss advance-purchase fares there as SNCF cannot access SBB's supersaver fares.

This is a Swiss domestic journey, so go to Swiss Federal Railways www.sbb.ch

You have a simple choice:

1) Buy a normal ticket, valid on any train that day, either at www.sbb.ch or at the station. Cannot sell out, no reservation necessary or possible. But not cheap!

2) Wait until <30 days before travel and check www.sbb.ch for a cheaper Supersaver fare. This commits you to one specific train, no refunds, no changes to travel plans, but can save up to 50% off the regular price.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

great thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

unfortunately I am trying to buy the ticket and shipping to the USA is not an option and it then redirects me to raileurope.com. unless maybe I am doing something wrong?
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I just tried again to buy the ticket on sbb.ch and it says the selected date of travel is not within the advanced booking period. Do you think all the tickets will be sold out if I wait until I arrive in Genva?

thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 09:01 AM

No, don't wait until you get there. Just wait until 30 days out from your of departure on the train, as Man in Seat 61 said. I neglected to point out that it's too early for you to buy tickets (but you didn't specify what actual date at the end of February, so I just looked up a random February date).

Why would you want the tickets mailed to the USA?
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Trains in Switzerland can't sell out as they do not require reservations - no such thing as a full train - check www.seat61.com as given above and www.budgeteuroperavel.com; www.ricksteves.com for general advice.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Hi as far as eating in Zermatt, ask at your hotel. There are many very nice places to eat. Our hotel, the Omnia suggested two places for dinner, the first was about one block just down the street from the Omnia Hotel, turn left on main street one block on the corner, it was a restaurat where the mtn climbers used to congregate, like a cabin, wood beams. the second restaurant was down the street between the side of the church and underground museum (be sure to see that, and the history of Zermatt/accident/disaster) down about 2 blocks...again ask at your hotel. No cars in Zermatt. I was there in July. Best to have reservations for some restaurants. I suspect that these are popular restaurants. Sue
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 11:53 AM

If n a budget hotels also may offer demi-pension with breakfast and dinner - ususally IME buffets unlimited - stock up at breakfast on carbs if hiking but do not do as Rick Steves once advised - to stuff pockets from breakfast bar - though easy to do.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 02:51 AM

It's impossible to buy a Chamonix - Geneva ticket on the sbb.ch site. This bus trip lasts lasts between 1 1/4 and 1 3/4 hrs and costs between 7 and 19 EUR.
Check hhttp://www.sat-montblanc.com/horaire-timetables/ligne-internationale-geneve-chamonix.aspx
https://shop.flixbus.com/search?ride...730.1504795457
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 10:23 AM

Trains take a roundabout route anyway with changes. Buses I believe go thru Mont Blanc Tunnel. Swiss passes not valid on bus or most of train route. Great info from neckervd as usual. Fodor's Thomasina Cook!
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:52 PM

If going to Chamonix don't miss taking one of Europe's most thrilling gondola rides - from Pt Aguille to to Pt Heilbronner in Italy features a long long for some way too long slow moving trip dangling high above a sea of ice heard cracking down below. When line stops at either end to let folks on and off you are left dangling in the small 2-4 person cabins for what seems to be an eternity to some like me - glad when line starts up again. Leaves right from edge of Chamonix - so ride to Italy and back and experience the awesome glaciers from a cable car.

Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:17 AM

In Zermatt we have enjoyed Stockhorn, especially thier shish kabob with sausages. Good grill selections. Found Walliserhof to have good fondue. Enjoyed the Hexen Bar and son who skis raves about Chez Vrony in Findlerhof which is right on the slopes. We've eaten at several other places there but Stockhorn is our definite favorite.

In Chamonix we found Carlina to have excellent oysters and tartiflette. Munchie is a youthful place right on the river with an Asian flair and great food. Chez Yang is a more traditional Chinese place with nice decor and good food. Bizes was also good--small and owner on site with good grill including excellent roasted lamb shank. Atmosphere which has glass views onto the river beneath it and is right in the heart of town is excellent. We went both times we were in Chamonix. Good menu of standards. Cap Horn is wonderful--went twice there also and especially enjoyed their tartiflette with duck. On our last night in town we splurged on a meal at the Relais and Chateaux place in town--Hameau Albert 1 but went to the Maison Carrier which is ther downscale brasserie with upscale but very reasonable offerings. All in our party had the pig from head to tail multi-course dinner which was very well done and extremely filling. A real treat and a lovely venue..

I'd say that in both cities you are in for some great dining.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 07:24 AM

OP didn't come back since almost 2 weeks
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 11:46 AM

Oh well many others read these threads too so not wasted.