Geneva to Venice

Search

Geneva to Venice

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva to Venice

Hi all! Great forums here and this is my first post!

I am planning on traveling from Geneva to Venice and have not found any discount airlines selling cheap tickets - lowest I saw was around $180.

I have seen other posts about Trains - Which do you all recommend?

Has anyone used SBB.ch? I found one way direct train ticket for 60 CHF - seems like a great price!

Any suggestions in terms of scenic routes?

Thanks!

-Anar
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done the trip 3 times.

Once a solo round-trip going by overnight train from Vevey to Venice (leaves around midnight; arrives early AM). Return Venice to Vevey by day train (transfers at Sion).

And another time with a friend, night train in a private sleeper cabin, Vevey to Venice (then we went on to Paris from there).

I'm not sure how prices compare, but I had a very fun time on the train.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I hear Vevey is beautiful!

Any suggestions on places to stay in Venice?

-thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM

www.lacalina.com is where I stayed both times. It's an absolutely lovely hotel in a beautiful location on the Guidecca canal. Close enough to be convenient but a bit out of the hub-bub. Nice breakfast included in the room rate. Easy to get to from the train station on the vaporetto.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM

There is no longer the night train direct Geneva (via Vevey) to Venice any more since like 2 years. Now you have to change at like 5.00 am at Bologna Station with a waiting time of about 30 minutes, that seems awfully inconvenient. Until then, I did the night train a few times but I hesitate doing it with the new timetable. Instead I did a day train that takes 7 hours, not too bad but still long so I took 1st class. Either that or, if the budget is not a big problem, take Flybaboo direct to Venice Marco Polo, the only direct flight from GVA to VCE. I guess 160.- you mention is a Flybaboo flight. The view is very beautiful under nice weather when flying over the Alps, lakes like Como, Maggiore and then seeing Venice Islands from above.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Just checked Flybaboo - 299CHF

SBB Train = 7 hours in 2nd class, 140CHF

Is 2nd class really bad for a 7 hour train ride - it is my girlfriend and I traveling?

thanks!
Anar
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:15 PM

Hi mikailov,

No, second class is absolutely fine. The seats are comfortable, you have plenty of legroom, and you'll have a better chance to meet other locals!

Be sure to grab a picnic lunch before you hop on -- fresh bread, Swiss cheeses, local dried ham, Swiss chocolate, and some local wine, if you'd like. It will make the trip a real delight.

Have fun!

s
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM

Thank you for the update on the night train, kappa1. I did not know about that change. That would ruin the entire plan imo. Who want to get up in the middle of the night to change trains? Again, my thanks for the current and correct information.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

I think suze meant www.lacalcina.com. If you at all can, do stay in Venice proper -- for the full, romantic experience.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

I have found Hotel Cristallo in Venice Proper (I think). Has anyone heard/been to this hotel? It has great reviews on TripAdvisor!

In talking to some friends several have mentioned their disappointment with Venice... Does anyone else feel like Venice is too "Over rated?"
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM

> Hotel Cristallo in Venice Proper (I think).

Wrong. The hotel is located on Lido Island. 10 minutes vaporetto ride to Venice proper.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Venice is often seen as over rated - I think by the people who spend just two or three days there. In three days, it is hard to see much more than the most well known attractions, so it can easily be considered as just sight-seeing, Disneyland with water. But if you stay longer, then you will discover the most amazing town in the whole world.

I'd reccomend NOT staying on the Lido, on Guidecca or in Mestre (horrors).
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on staying on S.Elena? BB Venezia specifically?

I read TripAdvisor reviews and sounded great!

20 minute walk from Venice proper along the canal.

Also, in Venice - would anyone recommend going to the Beaches on Lido south shore?

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM

Peter, I often think Venezia is overrated -- and I've certainly spent longer than two or three days there. I think if I spent my life there I wouldn't consider it the most amazing town in the whole world. Friends of mine just returned from spending a month there, and questioned if they would go back. They found it "sterile" because of the lack of an organic life that wasn't directed at catering to tourists.

Funnily, I stayed in Mestre the last time and, apart from finding the train ride in annoying, ate better there than anyplace in Venezia.

mikailov,

I read your comments on another thread that Pompeii has nothing to see but ruins and you enjoyed Mt Vesuvius most, so so it's hard to know if you would find value in Venezia. If you want beach towns, you can have a lot of fun along the Adriatic in places like Rimini. But Venezia is really nothing but antique architecture and art. You might consider lingering in the Dolomiti.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks so much for the correction(s). Boy I really messed up here! No more direct over night trains (oops) AND yes it is www.lacalcina.com Pensione La Calcina I was recommending.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

zeppole,

Thanks for your feedback. I think Venice is popular for a reason, and I must visit at least once. Staying only for two nights so that should be plenty for me.

How did you like Mestre?